Monday, April 6, 2009

Bitter Gourd Kurma!

The weekend was quite hectic, well I might start making it look like a chore! Well its not actually, its something I enjoy a lot and look forward too. So don't let my tone get you into that assumption. Athamma is much better, her finger is healing fast. My second sil was here for couple of days and had to leave. So we are back to us at home, of course Amma is there to help me. My kids are enjoying their trips up and down to school with their Ammamma now. Konda had her last exam and is very jubilant. She already declared that she is going to stay out at her grandparents' home from today.

I had great fun cooking at office for 60+ colleagues. I choose Channa pulao, not only because it was already a hit at our bloggers meet, it was something that can stand alone on its own. This was the first time I was cooking for such large numbers, so had reconfirmed the measurements with Amma again. It took about 3 hours for the entire cooking to get done, and result was great, if I have to say it myself! Many asked when we can open a restaurant. I replied I am ready when they are. But on the whole it was a wonderful experience seeing so many satisfied looks.

Now coming to today's dish, this was prepared by Amma, who remembered her mom cooking it this style, so I thought it has to be recorded for sure!

Before that do take a look at the Coconut Dates Boorelu!


Ingredients Needed:

Bitter gourd - 2 medium
Tamarind - a marble size
a pinch of salt

For the gravy

Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Onions - 1 big
Tomato puree - 1 cup ( you can use chopped ones too)
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

For the paste
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon -1 "

Coriander leaves for garnishing

Method to prepare:

Cut the bitter gourd into long pieces, soak in salt and then boil in tamarind pulp. Throw the water away and then fry the pieces in oil for 2 mins. Keep it aside

Then heat a pan and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, then ginger garlic paste. Fry well. Then add the chopped onions, followed by tomato pieces. Add salt, let the tomato get little mushy.

Then add the ground masala, fry well till the oil comes out. Finally add the fried bitter gourd pieces, required water and simmer till you get a thick gravy.

You can add the chopped coriander before removing it off the flame.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


27 comments :

Superchef said...

what a nice way to incorporate bittergourd into your food! i bet it tasted wonderful!

Divya Vikram said...

60 is a huge number Valli.. Bittergourd kurma looks great though am not a big fan of karela.

DEESHA said...

I never knew that kurma is made with bitter gourd .. sounds fantastic

Asha said...

Glad to see the Athamma is feeling better already. I got burnt on my arm y'day in the oven too, not serious but have a nasty color! :D

Kurma is yum, I made one too but North Indian style. Looks delicious Sri, my husband loves Bitter gourd.

Uma said...

I always make dry bitter gourd curry. Kurma sounds so good. Looks delicious. Must be tasting great with chapathis too.

Vishali said...

delicious Kurma with bitter gourds...

Vani said...

Cooking for 60 people, wow!! Karela kurma is new to me. Looks great!

Pooja said...

New to me..looking nice srivalli...

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

mmm Lovely kurma I miss home ;( nice to hear that your aunts finger is healing... Kurma color is just tempting me...

A_and_N said...

Oh my granny used to make this! Thanks so much for the recipe.

bee said...

thank you for a new recipe with my fav veggie. i love love love bittergourd. and i like it really bitter. glad you can access jugalbandi again. i'll post something for your event next week. have it in the draft.

Nags said...

This is one vegetable I don't have to worry about cooking, we both don't like it :D

Sanghi said...

Mmm.. this is different bitter gourd recipe. i love it:)

homecooked said...

The bittergourd kurma looks appealong Sri! I am sure it tasted just as good!

jayasree said...

Wow, you cooked for 60. Great job. Bitter gourd kurma is new. Sounds interesting.

Prathibha said...

cooking for 60 is a great job...My husband is a big fan of karela in any form, need to try urs once..

Ann said...

A kurma with bitter gourd is something i havent heard yet Sri..would love to try.

Jayashree said...

You cooked for 60 people??? Wow!!! Iam probably one of the few people who love bittergourd in all its forms....really liked this version.

srikars kitchen said...

Kurma looks delicious.. nice..

Miri said...

I love bittergourd but my kurma is sacrosanct - can't envision anything in it except potatoes,peas and maybe cauliflower!

Dhanasakthi said...

Great, must try this for chappathi, so far i have tried dried pavakkai fries only.

By the way, the other day, I tried a dish from your entries (sorry, forgot the dish name), but remember enough that it turned out well. Thanks Sri.

Shama Nagarajan said...

different one dear..will try this soon

Kitchen Flavours said...

Soemthing new to me. Looks yum.

Mandira said...

Wow Srivalli, I bet everyone had a great time! This kurma looks very interesting!

Subhashini said...

Hi Srivalli,

I tried this on Good Friday..Just forgot to do frying of bitter gaurd first.Though it came out really well..very yummy ..
Thought no one will touch because of the bitterness but amazed to find the empty bowl after lunch..

Thanks a lot for sharing..

VIDYA VENKY said...

i love to make anything with bittergourd....will surely try ur recipe pooja

Deepan said...

Nice recipe. After knowing the health benefits of Bitter gourd i have starting loving it. Bitter gourd is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2 and c and contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron, copper and potassium.

Bitter-Gourd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...