Friday, July 27, 2007

Lunch Box Series : LBS#6


Today's Lunch box had my favorite Rice item - Channa Pulao. Channa Pulav is something that we must have prepared some 101 times, still every time we eat it, tastes like the first time we having it. Amma got this recipe from a newspaper cutting. It was during this time, I became more interested in cooking.

It was also during this time, I found myself in the cross roads of life, everyone does I guess, and I was thinking what productively I can put myself to excel. I was lucky that I was able to distract myself with something useful. I have always been creative on mundane things which never bore me. I saw that Amma had collected so many recipe cuttings that she was always getting lost in finding what she wants. So I took upon myself the sacred task of sorting them all. Well I hope my daughter will one day appreciate the great work her Mama had done...My Amma sure did...for which I was very happy. I was able to file 3 big files with all Menus and a fancy Index too. It was quite a task. And the only dish that was repeated in all these files was this Channa Pulao.

Channa pulao has always been a hit through its lifetime of being prepared. Few friends infact were so much in love with this dish, that they used to keep repeatedly asking me to prepare this for them. This is quite spicy on its own, so normally make Onion Raitha with it. But when made less spicy can be had on its own.

Today's Lunch Box had

Channa Pulao
Onion Raitha
Curd Rice.

Curd Rice is a must for lunch and dinner, I just didn't take a shot of it.

Channa Pulao is now a part of my eBook, please refer the details below
eBook Details:

eBook Name : Flavours from South Indian Kitchen from Cooking 4 all Seasons
Recipes : 15 recipes
Skill level: Easy From Novice to Expert
Labels: Traditional - India, Vegetarian And Wholesome Food
Price: $5.00
Format: PDF



How this Works:
After payment via Paypal, eBook will be emailed to your email id. For any questions about the recipe or the download process, please email me at cooking4allseasons@gmail.com





Onion Raitha

Onions - 1
Curd - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 cup
Salt to taste.

Chop onions as juliennes. Beat curds well so that it becomes a smooth paste. In a bowl, add all the ingredients together and pack.

I normally add little curd to milk and make the curd set as by lunch, it will turn sour if only curd is used.

I washed down all this with Curd rice.

Hope you enjoyed my today's Lunch Box. Do send in your feedbacks.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


30 comments :

Roopa said...

looks delicious. one doubt do you add methi leaves or is it kasuri methi in the ground masala?
thanks for sharing :)

Srivalli said...

Thanks for pointing it out Roopa...it is neither..I was thinking of Mint leaves and had wrongly typed Methi...So sorry abt it...I actually used Mint leaves. I have updated the list.

Coffee said...

OH WOW!! That chana pulav sound very good! :)

SeeC said...

Nice post. Masala is very inviting.
Adding Milk to raitha is new to me.
Thanks for the info

Poonam said...

Looks yummy!

Asha said...

Channa is chockful of protein, so it's good to have them,specially for vegetarians.Looks like a great lunch:))

Laavanya said...

Srivalli that looks very tempting. I tried Channa pulav from a diff. recipe before and found it bland - since you say this is spicy I must give this a shot.. :)

Padma said...

I always wait for your lunch box posts...they are really different. I never tried chana pulav...nice photos, thanks for sharing

Latha said...

Looks like a delicious recipe. Will try it sometime and let you know.
Thanks
Latha

Jyothi said...

Wow, never heard about chana pulao. Looks great. I will try this. Thanks for sharing.

ramya said...

never heard of channa pulav,but it'slooking delicious and mouthwatering.

bee said...

this is an excellent looking dish, sri.

musical said...

Lovely pulaav! i love chana in every form, dear! this ones looks delicious :). great combo!

Dee said...

loved ur recipe, I make a much simpler version with sevai...

Tee said...

great recipe for this series! must be tasting really good :)

Suganya said...

Filing all recipes is such a time-consuming task. I am gonna try chana pulao.

Neelam said...

Wow chana pulav...never tasted it before looks yummy!

archana said...

The pulao recipe looks nice. Would like to try it out some time :)This menu is gr8 :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Srivalli,
I was just surfing when i came across your blog, seeing the "pal puri" recipe, was thrilled to get the exact same recipe of my attamma, and my hubby's fav. sweet. It was really a coincidence.
If you don't mind are you from Cuddapah/Anantapur?
just wanted to know, because even we too make yandu merapakayi pappu, which is one of my fav. dal, same ragi sankati..
nice to get to know your blog, nice work friend.
bye
lakshmi

Srivalli said...

Asha, Coffee, SeeC, Poonam, ramya, Bee, Neelam, musical thanks for your wonderful comments

Thanks Suganya, Laavanya, Latha please do try and let me know how it comes out

I am so glad to know this Padma

Welcome ..pls do try Jyothi , archana

Oh thats good to know Dee

It is Tee

Glad you dropped in Lakshmi, welcome to my blog. My hubby is from Anantapur. Please do visit again.

Lakshmi said...

First time hearing this. Looks yummy.

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Nice lunch! I've added you to my blog links...

Kanchana

Srivalli said...

Thanks Lakshmi ..do try and check it out...

Thanks kanchana...very nice of you...

Anonymous said...

hi,

has been going through all blogs for some time and your LBS has been quite an inspiration. this is my first comment. This particular recipe is exact in all ways. I made it with your specifications and wow came out good. but just adjusted it to my taste and added little more of chilli powder.

thanks for sharing it.

vysh

Srivalli said...

vysh, glad you liked it. Feel free to try out other recipes too.

Sheetal Kiran said...

I saw a photo of your wonderful channa pulao on Laavanya's blog ... I am a huuuuge channa fan and after reading the recipe I absolutely fell in love with it! Thanks for this Srivalli :D

Jhanani said...

Hi Valli, I made this pulav last week and it was delicious. Since I added more coconut, it was not much spicy for my kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sathya said...

Hi Srivalli,

Saw about your channa pulav in Lavanyaz blog came and that way saw your blog. I tried Doing channa pulav today and it came out very well today. Good works and keep going !!!!

Sathya

Swapna said...

Hmm.... I don't see the recipe for Channa Pulao. Am I missing something here? :(. Srivalli garu, can you please post it again. Picture looks very tempting and I would like to try it. Thank you :)

Srivalli said...

Swapna, sorry to disappoint you, Channa pulao is now part of my eBook which can be purchased for 5 dollars. that ebook has 15 new dishes. Let me know if you need further details.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...