Monday, March 31, 2008

Rava Dosa ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

There is something about Rava Dosa that pulls my heart strings in many ways. This has been my most favorite tiffin item that I would want to order in a hotel. Most times, it would not be available as it's so popular!. If Amma had a challenge to conquer, it was Rava Dosa. And she did try many times to get the perfect Rave Dosa. Finally she was able to come up with the correct proportion to get that restaurant style, thin crispy and tasty Rave Dosas. Even if I have to make this for breakfast, I normally had Amma prepare the batter and give me. So I was really happy to take up this challenge last week and yes, the results were great.Since this requires soaking just a little while before preparing, I found this very comfortable.

Things at home have been following a steady trend. Konda's exams are going on and I find it so amazing that she is not scared a bit. The day before the exams started, I had butterflies running around. Maybe the thought of my own exams had been the cause. But I feel happy that she is not daunted by exam fear. I really don't envy the things that highlight my kids life. Rather, I wish it remains so for them always. The high moment in my twins day would be climbing the chair, which we have forgotten to put down. The excitement they express on climbing them, my, it's a pure pleasure watching. Just for those joyful expressions on their faces, hubby leaves the chair up on Sundays and both of them will have pure joy walking on the table.

Peddu, these days walks around with a picture card of a bus, I think its rather a van. But he says Ba showing me that picture and signals us to take him outside, to watch the buses. Last night, it was quite late when he suddenly wanted Athamma to take him out, saying Ba Ba. She said buses will not be going now, as its late and it would've gone to sleep. Just our luck, one bus honked past our home and he heard the sound and showed Athamma his hand. It was quite amusing to see Athamma trying to make him understand that we won't go out at that time.

Coming back to Dosas, I finally told Amma about the dosa mela. She was very happy hearing it. I guess every mother rejoice, hearing something interesting from her kid. Dad, I believe, tells her what I post on daily. She is not very lap top savvy. Infact he was telling me that I post the Prawns Biryani that Amma makes so well. I told him that since we don't have any takers for that dish, maybe he can take a picture of that and send it across! I guess he will end up doing that too. So this Rave Dosa that I made this Saturday was a real treat. She was happy that we liked it. And I also told her that I was given one more tested recipe, that I will be trying out soon.

Preparation Time : 10 mins
Soaking Time : Minimum 30 mins (I soaked for abt 45 mins)
Serves - 8 medium size dosas
Cuisine - South Indian

Ingredient Needed

Rave/ Sooji - 1 cup
Maida / All purpose flour - 1 cup
Rice Flour - 1/2 cup
Curds - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oil & Ghee - for cooking
Water - 3 cups

Seasoning

Onions - 1 medium
Whole pepper corns - 1 tsp
Channa Dal - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 10 nos
Curry leaves few

Method to prepare:

In a bowl, take all the flours and mix well with salt. Add the curds, mix well to make sure there are no lumps. Slowly add water and mix to get a thin batter. The consistency should of free flowing one.

Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil. Sauté the finely chopped onions, pepper corns, channa dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves. Once the onions are light brown in colour, add this masala to the flour mix. Stir everything together and let it rest for minimum 30 mins.

Heat a tawa, let it get hot. smear oil. Take a ladleful of rava batter and pour on the tawa in a circular movement. Spread it as a regular dosa, once the batter is poured as a circle. We will not be able to spread this as the regular dosa. Sprinkle oil or ghee. I personally would suggest ghee as it elevates the taste!. Once its cooked on the bottom, flip it to the other side.

The batter should be really thin, the moment the batter touches the hot pan, pores will be formed. That way you know you have the right consistency. Cook on both sides and serve with coconut chutney!

I even tried sprinkling the batter on the tawa, but it didn't really come out well. My regular way of pouring the batter in circles, worked out fine. Rava Dosa was really thin and crispy! And we loved it every bite.

Another for my Dosa Mela.

Reminder: Today is the last day to send in your entries for Microwave Easy Cooking Event, themed on Rice!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


15 comments :

satya said...

I am a big fan of rava dosa too and have tried many many recipes until I got it almost right.But,still I feel it's not perrrr....fect:)
Thanks for sharing Amma's recipe Srivalli.I'll try this.

kamala said...

My favourite one.I am planning to send this as my another entry.love ur porous texture.Happy to hear abt ur twins.

Sunshinemom said...

Just back from office and saw your post in taste of India. I never get my rava dosa the same - sometimes really nice and sometimes its just a thick mass! Will try your recipe tomorrow for breakfast! it looks nice too!

Uma said...

How do you come up with all these wonderful recipes? Rava dosa looks delicious, srivalli! So porous and makes me hungry.

ANJALI J. said...

looks tempting! i prefer rava dosa over any other dosa.. love the taste!

remya said...

i made ravadosa n coconut green chutney yesterday...ove these simply n crispy dosa....urs dosa looks grt dear...

Hima said...

Love rava dosa as it is instant and tastes great. Love your version.

Siri said...

I HAVE to try this out - rava dosa being my favorite of all. I am still thinking on what to send for ur *Dosa Mela* Srii, but will definitely prepare sumthing for u..:D

Hope everything is going well.

Siri

Mansi Desai said...

perfect pores there girl! looks great:)

Divya Vikram said...

I love rava dosa too..Have to try this recipe

Homecooked said...

Rava dosa is one of my favourites!! Your dosas looks delicious!!!

musical said...

Rave dosa comes to rescue every time i have this craving for dosas :). Thanks for sharing your Amma's recipe, its a must try now.

Anonymous said...

/In a bowl, take all the flours and mix well with salt. Add the curds, mix well to make sure there are no lumps/

I use blender to mix the above things. I blend only few seconds.It really works.
I love rava dosa. I make it often.

Thank you for your post.

Rumya

Srivalli said...

satya, ahh..its nice to know I am not the only one who loves rava dosa!..do try and see if this comes out perfectly for you!

kamala, you are most welcome...glad to know you like reading abt them

Sunshinemom, hahah..happens many times...do try this and let me know

Uma, thanks for your compliments..glad you liked this

Anjali, great to know that!

remya, thank you..yours must've been great

Hima,thank you

Siri, oh do try and see if you like it...surely..else I will come behind you! yes things are going fine..

Mansi, glad you liked it

Divya, thanks..glad you like it too

Homecooked, thank you..its nice to see so many fans for rava dosa!

musy, so nice of you..thanks..

Rumya, thanks for that..next time will try that way

Anonymous said...

Srivalli madam,

I tried your rava dosa today.It turned out delicious.We had a nice breakfast this morning.Thanks a lot madam for a delicious recipe.

Sam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...