Saturday, March 1, 2008

Microwave Easy Cooking with Greens - Round up and next Theme!

When I thought of Greens as the next theme, I was really apprehensive if I will get any entries. Well my friends, I proved myself wrong. I got 12 beautiful creations out of Microwave. I love the colour Green and not mostly greens as in a vegetable. Yes, given a choice I will skip. Yeah I can see many heads shaking to say what a unhealthy liking. Well I can't really help it right. As I child I always skipped greens. But Amma managed to stuff some by hook or crook. Now at this age with impressible kid around, I can't help but eat greens. Not that she listens but I don't want to give room for her to question me back. But actually when I start eating it, I like. Its a case of out of sight, out of mind thing. But I am happy to know that I have people who are green loves around me.

Lets me announce the theme for this month. In March, lets do Rice! I would prefer if you make something with it. Its ok if you want to make it plain, but lets add colour to life, ok!. So think of some mixed rice or Puloa or to be fancy try briyani. Send in as many ever you want by 31st March 2008, with Subject line MEC: Rice! Check out here for more details.

Lets now move on to check out the entries that came this month.

*********************************************
EC sends in two interesting entries on Greens. First is Methi Mattar Malai, adapted Tarla Dalal's and is without onions and garlic. So those of you who are keen on no onions and no garlic, be sure to check this out!


Next she brings out an exciting dish named Keerai Hotel Style. Now with name like hotel style, it is sure to impress many.

*********************************************
Asha brings us this tempting dish made with Channa and Palak. That picture sure is a eye catcher.

This dal, she says makes a great dipping or scooping sauce if you keep the gravy thicker for the Parathas.

*********************************************
Aparna, the daring baker comes to us with truly Palakkad Iyer dish called Keerai Molagootal. The picture was such a catcher, that I had to go to her blog to enjoy the bigger one again.

Molagootal is something that can be made with mixed vegetables with Greens. I would say that's an excellent way of combining everything!
*********************************************
When you enjoy Indian Food, you got to enjoy what Meera brought to the event. Her Palak Muthiya are yummy to look at, I am sure she must've enjoyed and yes very mean to enjoy without us.


She says her microwave cooker was screaming for her attention and finally embraced it by making these lovely palak muthia. Had I known this, I would've made many such things scream in front of her!

*********************************************
You can make Pakodi in MW? well Vanamala has the answer for you and she makes a gravy dish too.

Enjoy the rich looking kadi with pakodis!

*********************************************
From Kailas comes Jayasree with chundal..well that too with amaranth leaves too.

And believe me, it was wonderful to know she used her home grown leaves to make this side dish. It looks so fresh and lovely.

*********************************************
Lavanya says she loves Greens. So ensures she cooks atleast twice or thrice a week. So for the event, she had a lunch with the greens!


And she also cooks a side dish with a rare variety called "Thoothu Valai Keerai", well I am not so good at Tanglish, so if I got to know what's it actually means, let me call her up!

*********************************************
Viji joins us with a restaurant pleaser. Of course, whatever she does always looks very pleasing and great. But you got to take a look at this one. Its Methi channa paneer



Since her blog is private, she has kindly shared the recipe for this event.

Methi Channa Paneer

Ingredients:

Paneer cubes 10-15
Slit green chili 2
Fry the paneer cubes in 2 tsp (oil+butter) along with chilis and keep it aside.

Boiled channa 1 cup

Base gravy
Onion 2 , mint leaves a handful.
Oil 1 tsp
Fry this into golden brown and grind it into paste.

Green paste
Wash and chop 1 bunch fresh methi leaves and ½ bunch coriander leaves. Cook the methi leaves in MW high for 1 minutes. Grind it along with coriander leaves using less water.

Spices
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Home made Garam Masal Powder and kasturi methi 1 tsp each (My home made Garam Masala Powder is very spicy. If store bought one you are using you might add 1 tsp of coriander, cumin and red chili powder along with this).

Yoghurt 1 small cup

Cream or cashew paste 1 tbsp (to get rich taste).

In a pan take 1 tsp butter + 1 tsp oil and add the basic gravy and saute for few minutes.

Add the green paste and spices together and saute till the raw smell goes.

Now add the yoghurt and paneer cubes and boil it till it blends. Finally add 1 tbsp cream or cashew paste and garnish it with slit green chili.

Serve it with warm pulkas.

Thank you Viji, for yet another lovely dish from your cuisine!

*********************************************
Now all along I was thinking I am going to feature only classic south Indian or restaurant ones, but when I saw what Dhivya's got, I was surely in.

I have never cooked Sarson Ka Saag till now and she surely tempts me with such easy directions. Thanks Dhivya.

*********************************************
Next comes our Suma, who was away holidaying. She was back in time to join us with her tempting Palakoora Pulusukoora


Pulusukoora is usually prepared with gongura or thotakoora (amaranth leaves). But she says she experimented with spinach and this worked equally good. Not just that it took her down the memory lane.

*********************************************
Uma joins us for the first time with an attracting Radish leaves dal.

While you are at her blog, be sure to check out her Vermicelli kesari. I was very happy seeing this, as this is what my mom makes just for me!

*********************************************
Jayashree brings us Keera masial and what a colour! She shares her early memories of her grandma growing these around their coconut trees. She feels those were the best. Yes home grown are always so tasty!..

Thanks for the lovely entry and kindly accept my apologies for missing out such a vibrant dish!

*********************************************

Thank you everybody for your lovely dishes. I surely enjoyed getting these in one place. Expecting exciting dishes to be turned in for the next theme. See you all then!

*********************************************

Wondering what Struck Jenny to be so bright, check out the latest happenings in her life!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


18 comments :

Lavanya Raj said...

Srivalli..great that you explored many way's of cooking the greens by this event.

Well done!

Asha said...

Hi Sri, wonderful dishes for this greens round up, healthy too. I like the next theme too, rice would be easy. I make plain rice in MW, will think of something!:)
(Microwave cakes and puddings would be a nice theme too)

easycrafts said...

Nice roundup...lot of new recipes too

Bharathy said...

Wow!!!What a nice round up!..

I am going green as well seeing the entries..Microcooking greens means preserving their nutrients well enough,right!..

Uma said...

Lovely roundup, Srivalli! Thanks for the nice presentation! I shall contribute to the next theme (rice) too. I love participating in such events. Thanks.

Jayashree said...

Nice round-up Sri....
You missed my entry, though :-((
The link to that post is
http://luvgoodfood.blogspot.com/2008/02/keera-masial.html
Could you include that as well??? Thx.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

oh wow! Neat round up....

Mansi Desai said...

that looks like a fab roundup Srivalli:)

Siri said...

Lovely RoundUp Srii, as always.. and *Rice* is a nice theme... I missed ur Greens.. will not miss this one..being a rico-o-holic!..:D

Hugs,
Siri

Vcuisine said...

Valli, nice round up and all will give different ideas of using green. Would love to participate in Rice too, if timer permits. Viji

musical said...

Lovely roundup, Srivalli. This will be very handy in cooking quick meals with greens! Thanks a ton!

sowmya said...

nice round up.. i liked your microwave events...will try to do something for your next theme..

satya said...

Great round up Srivalli.Nice presentation as usual.Next theme is interesting.Thank you.

Sig said...

Hey great roundup, rice is a nice theme, I might be able to send in something finally! :)

jayasree said...

Needless to say abt the roundup - lovely as always. Have never tried rice in MW. Hope I will be able to come up with something.

Vanamala said...

wow fantastic round-up sri!!
& Lovely new theme Rice!!!

DK said...

Thats a wonderful round up Sri - as always! The next theme does sound interesting! Lemme see what I can make for Rice! U got me thinking already :)

Srivalli said...

Lavanya, Thanks and glad you participated

Asha, Thank you...and good of you to suggest a new theme...looking forward to your entry!

easycrafts, thank you..glad you participated

Bharathy, thank you...you got it correct!

Uma, thanks...will be a pleasure

Jayashree, thank you...and sorry I missed..I updated it

Ramya, thank you

Mansi, thank you

Siri, glad you liked it..yeah expecting from you..bad you missed greens

Viji, sure..will be glad to get your dish

musical, glad you liked this

sowmya, thanks for dropping by..sure you are most welcome

satya, glad you liked it

Sig, thank you...thats great to know...looking forward to your entry!

jayasree, thanks for the kind words..thank you

Vanamala, thank you...

DK, thanks..expecting from you for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...