Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tomato Dosa ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

Planning for a breakfast becomes difficult if your folks ask for variety every morning. But that was a condition sometime back. Now with our hectic schedules, hubby dear is ok with anything as long as its healthy. But Konda fusses if I make her dosa everyday for breakfast. Its a separate issue that what ever it is, I got to feed her, except for Bread Pizza. So I try to make that atleast once a week so that she eats it herself. And Idlies more than two times a week, meets objection too. So I am left with a challenge that I want to make interesting dishes which are quick and yet tasty to eat. Amma used to make a variety of Dosas to meet the demands of variety everyday.

So when Athamma said she is going to soak Moong Dal for Pesarattu, I said I want to make something else. We decided we are going to include moong dal more in our diet. So we eat sprouts and generally plan for Pesarattu. But this Tomato Dosa I had been planning for quite sometime. This is a classic dosa variety back from my days in Amma's place. She used to soak rice early morning and grind it just before breakfast time. Red bright dosa is a feast for eyes before leaving to college or office. Naturally I forgot the proportions that go into this. So called up Amma and got the details. I guess its been nearly 5 to 6 years since we made it. Still Amma remembers the recipe so well. I guess I better record it as I don't feel I really might remember all the details of each recipe.

During the season, when tomatoes are available in abundance, Amma plans to make Tomato thokku or Tomato chutney or Tomato Dosa. Chutney is the best one that gets devoured fast. Of course, Dosa batter does not stay long, so we make only for single use. In my pursuit for dosa varieties, I am led to explore and think of all that Amma used to make. So here comes a dosa rich with goodness of tomatoes and one that leaves a lasting taste even after hours of consumption!

For ease of the readers, I have included this recipe in my new eBook, which also includes yet to be published recipes from my forthcoming cookbook. You can buy the eBook and enjoy!

eBook Details:

eBook Name : Flavours from South Indian Kitchen from Cooking 4 all Seasons
Recipes : 15 recipes
Skill level: Easy From Novice to Expert
Labels: Traditional - India, Vegetarian And Wholesome Food
Price: $5.00
Format: PDF



How this Works:
After payment via Paypal, eBook will be emailed to your email id. For any questions about the recipe or the download process, please email me at cooking4allseasons@gmail.com


Tomato Dosa!

Ingredients needed: (Makes 6 dosas)

Raw Rice - 1 cup (200 gms)
Ripe Tomatoes - 4 medium
Grated fresh coconut - 1/2 cup
Dried Red Chillies long - 4 nos
Salt to taste



Method to prepare:

Wash and soak rice for 2 hrs. Grate coconut and chop tomatoes.

First grind coconut, Red chillies and tomatoes to fine paste. Then add rice slowly and grind to fine paste. Water can be adjusted based on the tomato puree.

The batter should be little thin. Heat a tawa, apply oil. Take a ladleful of batter and pour in circular movement. This will not come out as the regular dosa, where you will pour the batter in the center and then spread clock wise. Here you need to first pour little by little around the centre and then make a thin dosa out of it. This has to be really thin so that you get crispy ones.

Sprinkle oil on top and cover with lid. This dosa needs to be cooked with covered lid and you should not turn it over. So sim and ensure it gets cooked well. Finally you can sprinkle ghee for a tastier Tomato Dosa.

Serve with Coconut Chutney. This tastes good with Coconut chutney and not that well with Ground nut. I haven't really tried other combi.

Enjoy!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


13 comments :

easycrafts said...

Never tried with tomato grinded into paste..nice recipe

Linda said...

Oh, such a beautiful color I can see how this would brighten up the morning! I finally got a real mixie Sri -- gonna try this soon :)

Swaroopa said...

looks gr8!! very healthy treat too....

Happy cook said...

Tomato gives such a beautiful colours to the dosa. Delicious

Padmaja said...

hey this is completely new dosa for me!!It looks absolutely delicious!!!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wow ! Love that colour! I have tasted this b4,thanx for the recipe!

Srivalli said...

ec, try and you will get hooked!

Linda, thank you...it sure does, thats a great news. Now you can try so many wonderful dishes!

Swaroopa, thanks...it sure tastes great!

Happy cook, yeah its Orange!

Padmaja, thanks..you should try it out!

Rajeswari..yeah the colour looks too good right...thanks and welcome

rashmi said...

great recipe tried it & it was really very tasty

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! We tried it and came out well & tasty.Nice match with coconut chutney.We liked it a lot and all flour got over,nothing is left.Thanks for sharing this good recipe in your blog and for your help in doing me this.

Thanks.

Sam

shakri said...

Wow! Tomato dosa! Never heard of it before. Definitely gonna try it tonight. :) Thanks!

SK

Anonymous said...

Came out well, thanks!

Bharathy said...

My son wanted thakkali dosas for dinner.I ve never made this.
did a google search and Zoom, I landed right here :)..
bookmarked!

Rekha said...

hi there...today i ve tried this recipes.. really too good.. keep blogging.. im also started a new blog
http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com .. Pls go thro it n give ur valuable comments.. thanks in advance

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...