Wednesday, June 30, 2010

365 days of Microwave Cooking!

Do I see many heads shaking in disbelief at the sheer audacity in announcing something like this? Well you can rest your poor head for a while and read what draft I got to say.

Before that let me tell you all a story. We had a regular oven, which served us true for many years and dished out some lip smacking pizzas, grilled chickens, melt in your mouth biscuits and what not. Then one fine day it died, without any signs or clues, it simply refused to start again.

Given that we were so used to its assistance in the kitchen, Amma said we should buy another one. This time smart pants that I am, suggested we buy an oven. Almost a decade ago, Microwave ovens costed a lot. Still promising Dad that we would surely make the fullest use, bought one and kept it home. Kept is the right word, because we hardly used.

The one time I tried making Chicken Korma, the insulator burst. The second time I tried making a Veg Gravy, the glass plate cracked. The pizza base which normally used to come so soft and crusty came out hard. Then we silently agreed that we were not going to tax it much. And so it was part of my kitchen and it so dutifully remained so.

Until one fine day, read after I started blogging, I announced a wish to start an event. I actually wanted it to be on Lunch Box, some suggested one such event already existed. So why not on Microwave Cooking. Thus came into existence Microwave Easy Cooking Event. This event is soon going to celebrate its 3rd year too.

Coming to the point of this post. Because I was the initiator of this event, I can't be seen without having an entry myself right. So after many years, the oven found day light. I started cooking in it. But more than regular cooking, we used it so much for reheating purpose.

When my oven gave up on us, Athamma was so dejected at not having this handy. Though we used the microwave oven to the fullest, hubby dear didn't believe I did justification to that. And after so much persuasion, meaning to say I will make Chicken Tikka for him, he finally bought us a new microwave oven.

Whether my old oven had all these features or not, I am not sure. But I have been using the new one quite efficiently. The possibilities are mind blowing and fantastic. Right from par boiling, to making a complete dish, I am simply enjoying my cooking. Of course one has to get used to the cooking mode.

So coming back to 365 days of Microwave Cooking is simply that. It will be a page to showcase 365 recipes and more.

Update: By the title I meant that I will be cooking and collecting recipes from other bloggers to meet the 365 days. I will not be cooking everyday in Microwave...:)


If you are interested to be part of this project, you are most welcome. 
  • Simply link back to this post and send me the details to cooking4allseasons@gmail.com
  • End of the month I will update all the recipes that were made during the month. This is not theme based, so you can actually cook whatever you want.

A small clarification, this has nothing to do with MEC, which will continue to be hosted by my dear blogging friends. And it naturally will be on a theme. Each month it will be hosted by other bloggers who are interested. And whose interested to send according to theme can send to the hostess. This project can also have those entries and other non theme based dishes that you many make during a month.

Looking forward to 365 days of Microwave Cooking!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


22 comments :

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

Srivalli, what a wonderful event, will try to participate

Anonymous said...

Microwave cooking is a bad idea. Google search for health concern in the long run. Minor reheating is still okay but an entire meal for 365 days can have significant health concerns not to mention it removes all the nutrients.

Anonymous said...

I like your recipes. Esp. the chicken chettinad one. That one was to die for. I do have a little trouble understanding what you write sometimes though. May I suggest an editor since I can see that you take your blogging seriously? Please take this as positive criticism and not in any negative light.

The Housewife said...

Very ambitious Srivalli! Great idea... wishing you the best of luck! I'll try to be a part of this!

Priya said...

Count me in Srivalli..

Shubha said...

Nice one Sri.... would love to take cpart.... looking for lotsa of vegetarian recipes...:D

mallugirl said...

is it advisable to use the microwave so much? just wondering coz there is skepticism abt it killing off all the nutrients.

veena krishnakumar said...

wow!!! this is good. will surely send the entries

Srivalli said...

Thank you very much for the feedback Friends, I want to clarify that this is not going to be everyday cooking, but cooking enough recipes to meet 365 days requirement.

Shaheen, I haven't really read any report that says Microwave cooking is harmful, but again as I said this is not going to be my everyday cooking.

Anon Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. Till now I haven't received any complaints on my writing, so I don't need any editor. Since you are the only one who finds it hard to understand, probably you can email me your doubts, I will be glad to clarify.

PJ said...

Very true Srivalli.I feel lost in the kitchen when microwave is not working for I use it equally with the stove top.This is a great idea and I will surely join the project.

Niloufer Riyaz said...

nice event, will try to participate

vidhas said...

Count Me in!!!!

sahiti said...

Since many bloggers are using M.w on a regular basis to participate in MEC events, they definitely must be having many tips and suggestions on using one,,like when to cover,when to use the lower temperatures etc.which are normally not found in manuals.How about using this as a theme for an event? so that, all can share their knowledge with all.Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

which microwave oven do you use currently? Do you also bake in it?

Swati said...

Hi Srivalli! This is really an ambitious project :D and yes, i do know that many of us just relegate our microwaves to reheating. So will def try and participate in the event. cheers!

Srivalli said...

SahitiWill surely try to do something on those lines..

Anon, I have an IFB Microwave Convection Oven

veena krishnakumar said...

Srivalli, just sent my entry to this event

Preeti said...

Srivalli, I am not sure whether you received my participation post for this event. If not here's my link http://isingcakes.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/suralichya-wadya/
It was really interesting cooking this recipe in microwave, especially the tadaka for the same :). Thanks for the theme.

Tanmaya Kulkarni said...

Is this event still open, I would like to post couple of entries.

Thanks,
Chamchameet

TastiWave said...

This is a great idea. This will probably be a great showcase of the capabilities of a microwave. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Dear Srivalli,
I have a microven at home and I use it quite a lot,, I heard from one of my colleague who refused the use of this machine in her day to day use,,She gave so much reasons ,I still happened to use it ,until I had an article in my mail box,,I feel so scared and confused!! I need your help and expert advice on this topic.here with I attatch the article I happened to read.
Thank you ,
Beatrice
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers.html

Srivalli said...

Beatrice I read the article, I agree it's pretty scary to read through the entire article. As the author himself says if this is proven to be harmful, govnt should have banned it. I am not an expert in this, but I did consult few dieticians and doctors who said it's not harmful. I take their word, I really can't do a research on it myself. I have read lot other details on microwave and don't really think it's harmful.

Anyway since one will not be cooking in it everyday it should not be really that effective as per the article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...