Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kasara Kaya Vepudu!

Life at times can be real case of irony! What else can I say on my current situation. Just when I am needed to blog on recipes everyday for the Recipe Marathon, I am finding myself without anything on hand. As I said, my camera has given up on me. The flash has gone for a toss and so I can't take any shots in the night, which is when I prepare something new! The camcorder doesn't have a flash and so can't take night shots again!

One fine morning, the camera was all foggy after a night out in a too chilled AC room. My kids, I have seen, sleep only if the AC is at a particular temperature. Even a point less and you will see them waddling away in the dark. So this particular night, somehow it got too chill and the lens got foggy. Though it was clear by the evening, the flash stopped working. I have been managing with it for a while but now its completely given up on me. Only option is either get it repaired or buy a new one So I need suggestions on which model is good! That is to take food pictures of course.:)

Until I get my camera back in action, I might have to ransack my draft for pending recipes and uphold my name! I can't look wanting at the time most required right! So till then you might see some unrelated recipes coming out daily! What else can be so unrelated than this stir fry on Kasara Kaya, a native of Ananthapuram District in Andhra! Infact I did a guess on this vegetable and not many knew what it was. I am still not sure of the English name for it. But I kind of think it might be called Indian gourd but then again I am not sure.

This is something that my in laws love and my father in law gets these for Athamma. Though this was prepared in my SIL's place! The entire kilo of this vegetable was cleaned and cooked much to their merry! It tastes most like bitter gourd and if you are fan of bitter gourd, you might like this. Though I am not. I clicked these for sheer need to record!

Preparation Time : 20 -30 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Cuisine : Andhra

Ingredients Needed

Kasara Kaya - 250 gms
Onions - 1 medium
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds + Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1 tsp
Fried Gram - 1 tsp
Garlic - 2-3 pods

Method

The vegetable looks as shown in the picture. You need to remove the tips. They actually come off if you break them. Since these are small in size, its takes a while to clean all of them.

Once its all removed, clean in running water and chop the onions.

Heat a pan. Add oil, then temper with mustard and urad dal. Then sauté onions till its pink. To this add the washed kasara kaya.

Add salt and turmeric. Simmer for 10 mins. Cover it and check after 10 mins. Stir and add chili powder. Mix well. and let it get cooked for another 10 mins. You know its cooked by seeing the green colour turning brown or black.

Once its cooked, garnish it with a powder made with coconut and garlic. You can even add the fried gram powder. We don't add coriander powder. This goes well with dal and rice.

This is my entry for this week's Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Cate from Sweetnicks, an event started by Kalyn.

Other runners:

Siri - Moroccan Spaghetti
Lak - How to set Curds
Dhivya - Banana Cake
Ranji - Methi Dosa
Raaga made a Vegetable Dosa
Bhags tries her Lucky number seven
Swati comes out with Methi wali Kaddu ki Sabzi
Anu comes with dripping Sauces!
Divya gets some snack Moong Dal Sundal

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


20 comments :

Siri said...

Gosh! I am so sorry about ur camera Srivalli. and u know what, being an andhraite, I never ate or even heard about Kasara kaaya..:(. the veggie looks so different!

Siri

Swati Raman Garg said...

ohoo bad haan .. i ha ve an ok types cam but now its too precious to me... i have never seen this veggie... how does it taste,.. and similarity to some veggie..?

kamala said...

We say athalakkai in tamil.Though it is bitter we like this.We make Pulikuzhambu with this.Miss Athalakkai here valli.Thanks for showing the veggie!!

Trupti said...

this recipe & veggie is new to me thanks for sharing .
hey srivalli check my blog there is surprise for you

ranji said...

hey i have had this vegetable long time back.Just ones though so dont remember the taste but i remember liking it:)...And so sorry to hear abt ur cam srivalli..

Sangeeth said...

OMG! I am sorry abt ur camera....ur recipe is so diff..i have never heard of this recipe...hopw it comes out well wjen I try it ;)

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi....
This is a very different recipe. Looks great. Never heard abt Kasara kaya. Sorry abt ur cam......

Uma said...

Nenu kooda eppudu ee kasarakaya gurinchi vinaledu Srivalli! Koora looks interesting. Sorry about your camera! I know it's so important for food photos. I am also planning to buy a new camera (actually my hubby said he is going to present me for our marriage anni)! I am looking for Cannon or Olympus.

Cham said...

Oh, so sad the camera stopped working at this time. Is this small variety of Bitter gourd? In TN we get round one also and little oblong shape like this pict.. But i am not sure, i would love to taste right away ur dish.

Asha said...

Never seen this veggie Sri, good that you are showing us, new thing to learn! Hope your camera gets better soon. I sprained my left Index finger today, in bandage now, typing with one finger!:D
Just came here to say I have added your mela link to dal roti at Aroma. Could you take the URL and that photo yourself please! Have to get off lappy now, finger is throbbing.See you tomorrow!:)

Meera said...

Sorry to hear about your camera, dear! This vegetable looks different. First, I thought it is parwar - which kind of looks like tindora. But I think, it's different. Thanks for sharing a new recipe & vegetable.

bhags said...

Well i had no idea bout you being from Andhra. I am sure Mr Kanth will be elated to know this, though. Sorry bout ur camera, I can understand how it feels without it, have been in this condition before. But Kasara kaya fry is not an unrelated post, it does educates ignorants like me about the new veggies

Divya Vikram said...

think its athalakkai..nice recipe on the run

sowmya said...

sounds good ...would love to try it...

Siri said...

U have a little small little surprise on my blog Srii.

Siri

Sunshinemom said...

Oh oh... camera ne saath nahi diya? Sorry about that! I have seen this vegetable at M aunty's house. I don't know what they do with it though.

satya said...

Kasara kayalu looking so cute......the name suggests that it's a sibling of bitter gourd...:D

Purnima said...

Sri, Thats new veggi to me! Thanks for sharing!

Suganya said...

I have never seen this veggie, Sri. Kamala says it is Athalakkai; doesn't ring a bell.

Anonymous said...

Kasara Kaya is also called Adavi Kakara and scientific name is Momordica tuberosa. I gathered this information by googling. I love this curry. -Sushma

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...