Thursday, October 18, 2007

It is....and what is this???

Well the veggie is known Kasara Kaya as it is called in Ananthapuram District in India. When I searched the web I came to know that Kasara Kaya is called as Indian gourd but not sure again because Pravs calls Indian gourd as Kantola whose picture again is not what I have seen. I was first exposed to this during my visit to my in laws place. I may have eaten this once, but they are so fond of it that they eat it in all forms. Athamma says this is not so bitter but little bitter. So this may be called small bitter gourd. But again small bitter gourd that I have seen in this parts of the place is different. Athamma makes this in different ways, just frying or make it as gravy but in any form they just love it. Its not available all through the year, so its very fondly looked forwarded too. And Sra asked me if I had deliberately blurred the image what a joke??....#$#%#%...as if I would ever dream to do that..the pains I took to make it look clear only I know...that's why I decided that I don't want to take a chance in exhibiting my oho talents of clicking, rather entrusted hubby dear to do the honours.

You know once I have taken a picture of fried eggs prepared by Amma. There is no recipe, you just boil and then sauté in oil with salt and pepper. But for some reason, that time they looked so appealing. I just had to capture them. Since then I always wanted to upload that picture somehow. When B&J announced this event, wanted to send for the appeal category but somehow the picture has gone gayyab. Then it just slipped my mind, that folks at home are observing the festival norms and hence no non-veg or even eggs at home till end of this season. I was thinking that maybe I will not be able to send in an entry. But last night when I was playing with the kids, I saw they had few drums. And that, I tell you is the moment of enlightenment. Such moments come but rarely and whole night was thinking how I will put my thoughts in action. Lo morning came and with that hope! I managed to cajole hubby dear to exhibit his photography skills. He happened to read my guess post and was asking me when I was going to give the answer, so in the same breath told that I wanted few eggs to be captured. I prayed that my fridge will have atleast one and yes God is gracious, I found four of them lying around not sure when their prayers will be answered.

I took all the things I dreamed through the night and hoped hubby dear will excel. By the time I could assemble the things, we heard a distant cry and I had to run inside. So I wasn't sure what he clicked until now. Its a fun theme. He said we should consider giving each of the boys an egg to hold in their hands. As if that's seemingly possible. To make them stand in one place for a second is difficult and he proposes for them to pose with an egg in hand. Well maybe he thought B&J were acepting entries for 'Most funny shot'. I assured him that there is no such category.


Well unlike Bharathy who was able to capture the beauty of Egg with minimum or no words, I have, on the other hand as usual ranted a lot. Check out my chicks. Lakshimi's brother had real chicks in hand, so I thought I would display my kiddos toy chicks..

I liked these two most, so let me know which one can be sent as entry for B&J's Click...click an egg please!

Camera Model : Sony 3x zoom, 6 mp

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


20 comments :

bindiya said...

Second one Sri, looks like a lot of fun,THAT would be my choice.

bee said...

love them both. :-)

Siri said...

I heard of Kasara kaaya, but didn't know ho they look.. Nice guess game Srivalli..:).. I liked the second photo best with the duckling .. it so cute.:D

Tee said...

very cute! I loved the second picture more :)
The information on the mysterious veggie is very good...i am surprised how i have never seen it before.

Asha said...

With Ducks!! I love whimsical and colorful stuff. Looks great! What an ordeal you go thru' for a photo, huh?!;D
Happy Dasara.

sra said...

I DO beg your pardon - I think you're talking about what we call aakaakarakaaya - at least that's the one in Prav's picture, but the one in your picture doesn't have that hairy surface from what I can make out!

starry nights said...

I like the second picture because there are some chicks alongside.Never heard of that vegetable.I am glad I did not take a guess.

Sivani said...

We call that akakarakaya in telugu. The frozen ones that we get here have been cut in wedges lengthwise, rather than in discs - that might be why you don't recognize them in Pavs' picture.

They are delicious - we absolutely love them especially when fried with just salt and karapodi added at the end.

musical said...

How cute! I like the second one, because its really sooooooooo sweet :).

Mansi Desai said...

Sri, I like the first one..looks more professional:) enjoyed readin your meme too...yeah, they can be too much work, I know!!

I'm hosting AFAM-Peach this month, and there's still some time left for the deadline, so see if you can send in something for the event! canned epaches can be used too...check my blog for details!

Namratha said...

And the chicks look soo cute! Hehe..lovely entry dear, talk about enlightenments, I had to wait for mine for ages :-D

Kasarakaya huh, hadn't seen it before so I didn't want to guess (played it safe!)

Cynthia said...

I like the last one :)

Roopa said...

the second looks cute :). It was fun playing the guess game!

Srivalli said...

bindiya, thank you. I have sent it to the event.

bee, hope you got my entrie

Siri, thank you

Tee, glad you thought so! Oh this time I go there will take a clear picture and post

Asha, thank you I have sent them across. yeah pity me..:)Thank you and wish you the same

sra, hhaha...I heard this veggie called as kasara kaya, but this time I am going there will take a clear picture and also other names by which it is called...but you may be correct too becos this is new to my...:)...because of the hairy surface I said it may not be the same...but let me confirm

sn, thanks for the feedback....hahah...thats fine

Sivani, oh thats nice to know...maybe this time will do a ingredient series on this...

musical, thanks for the feedback...nice of you

Mansi, thanks for the feedback...on afam peach I have not been able to find peachs here...thats the reason not able to participate

Namratha, thats nice to know!

Cynthia, thanks have sent the same

Roopa, thank you and glad you liked the game!

sunita said...

I adore the second one...looks very cute.

lakshmi said...

soooooooooo cute - and i am rolling over your husband's suggestion - :D - (sri)2 would have made into a drama worth a huge post by itself :D

you should be able to find ooty peaches in the market

Srivalli said...

sunita, thanks for the feedback.

lakshmi, thanks da. yeah he was really serious on that..:)...

will try to get hold of them

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Lovely pictures...!!Eggs With ducks...very nice :)

Rina said...

Colorful picture Srivalli

Bharathy said...

bharathy doesn't know to explain things beautifully like srivalli or lakshmi or sandeepa or dear bee ;(...that's the truth :)..

Hugs to you honey, for the encouraging words..

Clicks are cute!!!:D love em

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...