Chicken Fry with Pepper!

Things have become pretty slow all of a sudden! I guess I have become used to being so busy offlate on the blogging front, that suddenly things seem just too relaxing! Really I have enjoyed doing it, checking for entries, reading through each of them, labeling it. Well it was fun when it lasted. I have learnt more in this one year of blogging than my entire life time spent otherwise! My blog has brought forth so many wonderful people out there, and reading and seeing what they are doing, makes me feel that I haven't really done anything much. I enjoy the interactions I have had with many of my readers and fellow bloggers. Few bloggers have become close friends, with whom I chat over mails. But in general, I have enjoyed all the comments and suggestions that's poured my way!

While my general blogging has been great, Dosa Mela event has been overwhelming. In this short span of time, I have been able to feast myself with so many new blogs. All of them so interesting and valuable in their own way. Its been my privilege to go through each one. Now that its over, I feel I am left with nothing to do all of a sudden! How do you feel if I come up with something else shortly. Will it be welcomed? Let me know!

Coming to this post, this has been hibernating for a while now! Remember that Spicy Chicken gravy we did. Well I like frying the chicken with spices. And that day, we prepared it by adding ground Pepper powder over it and roasting it well. Hubby loves his chicken with pepper. It gives out a great taste and flavour. I have already done a Pepper Chicken, but this is different from that. I remember those Pepper vines so vividly from our visits to Kerala. Every house will have their Pepper vein in their backyard and it used to look so lovely. It feels so wonderful thinking back on those days.

Peppers are a wonderful spice to have in your food. I especially love that smell that comes out of freshly ground powder!

Black pepper (Piper nigrum) is a flowering vine in the family Piperaceae, cultivated for its fruit, which is usually dried and used as a spice and seasoning. There are so many varieties of this available. The most common atleast in our parts are the black and the white ones.

Black pepper is produced from the still-green unripe berries of the pepper plant. The berries are cooked briefly in hot water, both to clean them and to prepare them for drying. The heat ruptures cell walls in the fruit, speeding the work of browning enzymes during drying. The berries are dried in the sun or by machine for several days, during which the fruit around the seed shrinks and darkens into a thin, wrinkled black layer, the result of a fungal reaction. Once dried, the fruits are called black peppercorns.

White pepper consists of the seed only, with the fruit removed. This is usually accomplished by allowing fully ripe berries to soak in water for about a week, during which the flesh of the fruit softens and decomposes. Rubbing then removes what remains of the fruit, and the naked seed is dried. Alternative processes are used for removing the outer fruit from the seed, including removal of the outer layer from black pepper produced from unripe berries. - Source Wikipedia

I have mostly used the fresh ground Black pepper. This actually elevates the taste to a different level!

Ingredients Needed

Cooked chicken pieces - 150 gms (about 5 to 6 pieces)
Black Pepper powder - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method to prepare:

Follow this recipe till the pressure cooking stage. The chicken is fully cooked in all the spices, onion and tomatoes. Just remove the cooked pieces alone.

In a pan, heat oil. Then added the cooked pieces, add the salt and the pepper powder. Sauté well till its nicely browned. The fragrance that comes out after adding pepper is heavenly! Since the chicken is already cooked with the spices, it goes excellent with the pepper powder added over it.

Other recipes on my blog using lots of Pepper:

Andra Mutton Pepper Fry
Pepper Chicken
Cumin Pepper Rasam

This goes to Margot from Coffee and Vanilla, who is hosting this week's Weekend Herb Blogging, an event started by Kalyn.

Labels: , , , , , ,