Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spicy Chicken Curry ~ Andhra Style!

Growing up in midst of great cooks, have lot of advantage and you get to learn lot of techniques. It gives you a natural boost. As I must've said so many times, both my Amma and Athamma are great cooks and its a fortune to get exposure to such exceptional cooking from them. No matter which dish they make, its bound to be tasting great. Though Amma experiments and tries out new things, almost many times in a week, Athamma never ventures out of the regular. Yet her simple style of cooking, gets appreciated equally. Most of her dishes are quintessentially Andhra. Hubby dear never lets a chance pass by, without asking me to learn those simple cooking from her.

Of course, when I ask her, I find it amazing that she would've used the regular things, yet it results in much elevated taste. This Sunday coming back from a day trip down south, both the boys refused to eat from anybody but me. So I ended up spending major part of the evening, feeding them. That left Athamma to handle the chicken. She asked me couple of times, if I have something on mind. One of the cookbooks that I have, had many recipes which asked for marinating for couple of hours, so had asked her to do the marinating before I could get back home. In the end, I couldn't find the book and ended up cooking something out of my fancy. It turned out great. She thought I might want to do something on the same lines.


I teased her saying she can enjoy herself with cooking the chicken. By the time, I could say bhoo bhoo, kakka kakka to both the twins, she was walking up and down, telling me what she was doing with it. Since we almost skipped the food the whole day, she thought we will have an early dinner. So speeded it by using the cooker. In the end, I felt she needn't have gone to all that trouble, by the time Hubby came for dinner, it was well past our regular time. Not only she made the gravy, she prepared a Chicken roast along with this.too. Athamma is a lady of innovation, and I was amazed at the chicken roast recipe. I only feel bad that I didn't have sense enough to take a complete picture of everything.

Ingredients Needed

Chicken - 250 gms
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 & 1/2 medium
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 3/4 tsp
Clove - Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Curds - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves chopped for garnish.

Method to prepare:

Clean and cut the chicken to required size. Heat the cooker pan with oil and sauté the finely chopped onions. Once its pink in colour, add the ginger garlic paste and fry till its brown.

Add the chicken pieces, turmeric powder and salt. Cook on high for a min and sim for 5 mins with cover. The add the chopped tomatoes and all the dry masalas. Sauté well so that it gets mixed with the chicken.

Finally add the curds and 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or till chicken is well cooked.

Once the stream is off, remove lid and cook on high flame for all the moisture to get evaporated. The result will be thick gravy coating the chicken pieces. It is not a watery gravy but rather a gojju or medium gravy type. Since you already pressure cooked, the chicken will be soft. So you got to take care while you are cooking on high. Make sure the bottom doesn't get burnt. It can be simmered at this point and cooked till the curry is really thick.

This is perfect for Chapatis or Spiced Rice. Adjust the chilly as per taste. This sure was spicy!

The difference in this recipe, is the addition of Clove-Cinnamon powder. We normally add the whole spices to most of our non-veg dishes. At times, when we feel a change is in order, add this roasted powder. It takes the dish to a whole new level. Plus the addition of curds, gave way for a thick gravy and it went well with the rotis.

Needless to say, Hubby dear loved everything on the plate and was on cloud nine, metaphorically!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


13 comments :

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! said...

Hi Sri...long time, friend!!!, how are you..see that the MW Cooking event is goin great!!!, 3 cheers to u. Was goin thru all the roundups, saw my pizzas in ur snack event, felt happy at heart, reading ur sweet words. Wonder, if i am missing those days, too much into trials, foto sessions....and et all...do cook and try new things, but not as frequent as before, but nowadays, in the least of mindframe to be clicking it!, I am turning 7 months by April, getting much heavier, and the usual stuffs with me, tierdness, anaemia, infection...blah blah. I ask my doc, my!!, am I infected by bacts all yr around!, its the third round of antibiotics he is prescribing for me now!..phew...anyways, keep in touch okie...atlest once in a wile...warm regards,
sona

sra said...

Ah, cloves again in your blog! They do haunt me, I'm hungry all of a sudden!

Kalai said...

Gorgeous chicken curry, Srivalli! Your athai is so sweet! Will definitely try this soon. :)

ranji said...

hi srivalli...this chicken curry looooooookkkkkks soooo damn good..very very tempting.1 question .u used boneless chicken or the one with bones?

kamala said...

The chicken looks spicy and yummy.going to try this weekend.Thanks srivalli

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi....
This is my fav..... I really want to give it a try.... Looking great...YUM!...

Trupti said...

hey Sri,
this curry looks delicious & spicy..thanks for sharing this recipe.

Divya Vikram said...

Chicken looks delicious and spicy..very tempting too..

Cham said...

I really want to pick that bowl, looks so fiery the chicken.Looks awesome the colour

Gaurav said...

Looks absolutely inviting. Want to try it out...will probably keep the chillies low. Andhra is known for some fiery dishes.

Maya said...

Wow, chicken indeed looks spicy and yummy....

Rachel said...

Now that is one yummy looking plate of a meal....love the rich colour.

Gsin said...

Absolutely loved it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...