Announcing an event to Celebrate Indian Flatbread ~ Roti Mela!

When I announced Dosa Mela, I never knew it will get everybody so excited. I had it in mind more because I was interested in knowing all the varieties that one can make with Dosa. But the response it got, was really overwhelming. Even after the roundups, I got many bloggers sending their entries, all of them eager to includes theirs in the round up. So I will be doing an update post with the pending entries.

Apart from this, many of you wanted to know what's next! Infact many wrote saying they would love to have another such event celebrating something that's common. So what better than Indian Flatbread. I love all types of rotis, stuffed parathas, naans, khulchas. The variety is endless! I use all types of flours and its so interesting to know how one cooks with them!

I have tried to cover most varieties that were easy to make at home, but I am yet to try out khulchas, so that's one challenge for me!

So the rotis can be plain, stuffed, savory or sweet!. Some of the typical varieties that I can think of are:

Chapati, Roti, Akki Roti, Puri, Phulka, Paratha, Stuffed Paratha, Puran Poli, Naan, Rumali Roti,
Kulcha, Bhatura, Luchi, Tamil Nadu Parotta, Kerala porotta, Roti prata, the Singaporean variant.
Roti canai, the Malaysian variant.

Just google away and you will have so many to choose from!

It can also be one of those from regional cuisines, like from Kerala, Pathiri, etc. By Roti, I am referring to everything that's made as dough and rolled out, or patted out or flipped out and cooked on a tawa, pan, tandoori!

So this is going to be everything that comes under Indian Flatbread category. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have all these in one place!.

To participate in this event, please have these in mind!

1. Cook anything related to Roti and all its varieties and post it on your blog from now till June 20th 2008. Can send in as many entries are you can! I will never say no to a Roti too!

Flour used can be anything, right from APF, wheat to Jower or even Chesternut flour! anything and everything under Sun. But sharing your family secret recipe, or something unique will be great and exciting!

Please also include details on how easy or difficult making that dish is, other notes that you feel is important. Everything in related to preparing your dish easy, will be appreciated!

2. Add a link back to this event announcement, would be nice if you can include the logo!

3. Please send me an e-mail to with the following info.

* Subject Line: Roti Mela
* Your name
* Your blog name and link to the post.
* Dish Name
* A picture of the dish (250 width).

4. Non bloggers can e-mail me the recipe and the picture and I will include it in the round up.

5. If you feel you want to participate but can't find time enough, I will accept already posted entry, if you create a NEW POST linked to this announcement. But it will be really fun to create a new dish!

I will work on the code to put this on side bar, meanwhile you can just include the logo if you are interested!

Looking forward to all your enthusiastic participation!

Labels: ,