Jeera Aloo Sabji

In a way Jeera or Cumin is very dear to me. Not sure why, but I like it. There are certain things in life you just like them for no reason. When I first started cooking, I was so confused with all the different names and different usage. Cumin was always one that I was so clear about and I wanted to add to all dishes. Infact I have a favorite Jeera Rice that I always wanted to try but have never come around preparing that. I add lot of Cumins to my Ven pongal, Ghee Rice, Tomato Rice and just about anything of Rice variety.

When Sunita announced an Event on Spice, I thought about a Jeera Aloo by Sanjeev Kapoor. But looks like that has been tried by many and is successful. Hence wanted to change and prepare something for this Event.

Here goes my version of Jeera Aloo Sabji

Potatoes - 250 gms
Onion - 1
Tomatoes - 2
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric pw a pinch
Jeera powder (Roasted & coarse) - 1/2 tps
Coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Peel & Chop potatoes into 1" cubes. Chop Onions and tomatoes to fine pieces

Heat a pan with Oil. Saute in Onions, fry till they are nice brown in colour.

Next add tomatoes. add all the powders. Fry on high flame for 2 mins.

Then simmer and add water. Then add the potatoes, bring it boil, then simmer so that the potatoes get cooked. Once they are done, add Cumin and simmer for 5 mins more.

The sabji is ready. It has the nice aroma of cumin and when you chew you can feel it.

This is my entry for Think Spice...Think Cumin, hosted by Sunita.

Labels: , ,