Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bhatura ~ Roti Mela!

I don't remember when I was first introduced to Bhature, for it seems like forever I have been familiar with this delicate darling! I still remember the time we used to have Chhole Bhature, when we go to Woodlands drive-in hotel. It used to be fun not to drop anything down on the car seat but still manage to eat the big poori which is of the entire quarter plate size, with a cup of Chole Masala on the top. One side of the Bhatura will still be puffed while one side would be pressed down with the cup of chole weight. Hah the Bhatura must be wondering why on earth that cup of chole was put on its top. Its beauty was marred by the chole. Little did it know they go hand in hand. It was so saddening that Woodlands drive-in is now closed!

I still remember the many lazy Sunday mornings we got up, to prepare the Bhatura dough and then carry on the Sunday rituals. Dad has a penchant for getting up on time be it a Sunday or a Monday, so I used to get up by 6.30 and relax with Sunday newspapers and of course Rangoli. This is one program I have been watching in our National TV Channel since high school. That used to be my most favorite one for many years, even after marriage. If I was lucky I get to watch songs like these...

Rimjhim Gire Sawan
Sulag Sulag Jaaye Mann
Bheege Aaj Is Mausam Mein
Lagi Kaisi Yeh Agan
Rimjhim Gire Sawan

Jab Ghunghroon Si Bajti Hain Boondein
Armaan Hamare Palken Na Moondein
Jab Ghunghroon Si Bajti Hain Boondein
Armaan Hamare Palken Na Moondein
Kaise Dekhen Sapne Nayan
Sulag Sulag Jaaye Mann
Bheege Aaj Is Mausam Mein
Lagi Kaisi Yeh Agan
Rimjhim Gire Sawan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VzUxxa0c2I

This is one song that always top my list. Actually there are many like this, but this one evokes something so very deep. Something happens when I listen to this song. Pathos or what, heart strings get pulled in all directions. That innocence that gets translated through these words, transports you to a different realm!

So imagine listening to this and making out Bhaturas! Heavenly!

And just like that song, making Bhatura is an art. It has to rise up to the occasion and keep up its name right. So we got to help it by adding in the right stuff. And when we had Chole Masala with Bhatura this Sunday, I remembered the many occasions we had prepared it earlier. While I was taking pictures, it struck me that normally Amma makes it quite big, but I preferred smaller ones this time. The chhole curry that we made this time was also very simple but tasted great.


Serves - 15 medium sized bhaturas.
Preparation Time - 2 hrs (for raising)
Cooking Time - 10 to 15 mins but also depends on how fast you can roll out and fry each one...:)

Ingredients needed:

Maida - 4 cups (450 gms)
Curds (Yogurt) - 150 gms
Salt to taste
Cooking Soda - 1/8 th tsp
Water 1 cup

Method to prepare

In a big mixing bowl add Maida, Curd, Soda and Salt to taste. Mix well. Then add water little by little to form a dough. It should be little stiff as it will become soft after setting aside for 2 hrs.

Take a muslin cloth, wet it in water and cover the dough. Keep it aside for two hours.

When ready to eat, make the dough into required sized balls, roll them out into circle shape.

Heat Oil in a kadai and deep fry the bhaturas to golden colour.

Serve hot with Channa Masala garnished with Onion rings and lime.

Serve Bhatura with Chhole!

Aloo Chhole Masala
Channa Masala
Punjabi Chhole Masala

Bharturas are for my Roti Mela!

Well this is also part of the Recipe Marathon, the latest idea of the famous friends, Siri and Dhivya! I have to ask them how they come up with such ideas!

*******************************************


Are you not yet mad with Mangoes??? Well I am and you too have every reason now to be. Get the Mango Madness and hop it on to my dear friend Arundati, who is hosting the Madness party this month!..

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


21 comments :

Rachel said...

How true..The drive-in was my fav joint even now..there's something about that place...

valli this is my dinner tonight!

arundati said...

dear Valli!! thanks for being a dear and linking up for WBB!! virtual hugs coming your way!! you should have the chole bhature from a place in hyd called havmor the next time you have a chance! out of this world....yours look good!!

kamala said...

Wow..the bhaturas are so inviting.Wish i could be a next door to u valli

sowmya said...

lovely bhaturas...am going to make this weekend...am looking for a recipe for roti mela...yet to decide..

Priya said...

and it starts again! First you tempted us with the innumerable dosa recipes and now it roti's :( I think I need to move closer to where you live.
You seem to be maintaining a cool pace at the marathon. Great going so far :) Let me know if you need water bottles handed out in between :))

ranji said...

perfect bhaturas srivalli!!!looks really crispy and puffed up..

Shri said...

Wow! never known that bhatura can be made at home.Lovely recipe

SASHREE said...

wow valli..thatz a gr8 intro to comeup with.gr8 song..i luv kishore da songs.
coming to ur bhature..looking delicious..yummy one..hmm..

Uma said...

Yummy bhaturas! I remember eating them in a restaurant. Never tried at home.

Trupti said...

nice bhaturas srivalli

Vanamala said...

Bhatura looks very nice.

Cham said...

Looks good ur bhatura never did at home.

Richa said...

can never tire of chole bhature ;) urs looks so tempting, now i gotta' make it soon!

Bhags said...

bhaturas always seemed to be a messy affair to me , both for eating and cooking...but ur look all fluffy and crisps

Divya Vikram said...

love baturas with channa..my fav

Siri said...

Ok, its 11pm for me, had my dinner.. I am feeling hungry again. all thanks to ur yummy Bhaturs. what shud I do?..Booooo..!!

I added ur bhatura to breakfast section of DH..:D

Hugs,
Siri

Priya Arun said...

Hi Srivalli,

As usual a splendid recipe with a gr8 song (my favourite too!!)

Take care,
Priya

Swati Raman Garg said...

this reminds me of chacha ke chole bhature in delhi:( and rimjhim gire sawan and many more of Kishore
Da are my fav songs too

Jayashree said...

It really is sad that woodlands drive-in got shut down.....
Liked your reminiscences about bhature....the chole looks good.

sra said...

Valli, as you know, I love both versions of this song - Lata's and Kishore's. I can't get enough of this song, sometimes, even in hot summer, as I'm discovering.

I've always wondered why hotels give one small, measly katori of chole with such a big bhatoora!

Srivalli said...

Rachel, its so sad right...hope you enjoyed!

arundati, thank you so much..its my pleasure! will surely try them when I get a chance!

kamala, anytime you come down, you are most welcome

sowmya, thank you..hope you will come out soon with it!

Priya, you are welcome any time...:)..I am planning for more..but will have to see how many works out! sure sure..any help is most welcome!

ranji, thank you!..

Shri, thanks for dropping by..do try this..will love it!

Sashree, thank you..glad so many love this song!

Cham, Uma, then I recommend you do!..you will never go for a restaurant one after that!

Vanamala, Trupti, thank you!

Richa, pls do..:)

Bhags, hehhe...in due time it will come out well!

Divya, glad to know

Siri, heheh..nice to know that !

Priya, glad to see here after a while! nice to know you like that song.

Swati, good good!

Jayashree, yeah wish we had something done on that!

sra, heheh..thats really funny!...yeah even I have always wondered on that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...