No Tomato Pressure Cooker Vegetable Pulao | Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker

We are starting the first week of BM# 65. For the first week, I will be sharing some rice dishes cooked in three different ways. We cook only rice for lunch and it keeps varying as  steamed rice, mixed rice, and pulaos. A special occasion calls for Biryanis and that again either is nonveg or veg special with Paneer or Soya etc.

Since I carry lunch to work, I also most times want to cook one pot meal that's easy to assemble in the morning. I use a pressure cooker for all my cooking in the mornings, that includes the rice as well. I like working on a menu and a set plan. That works out so well as I don't have to worry too much about it. So certain days in the week is either mixed rice or one pot meal.

The theme for this week is to showcase Rice as a grain in different styles. We can't use rice in other forms like rice flour, rava etc. So I came up with 3 differently cooked rice and I hope you enjoy!
The first in the series is a No Tomato Vegetable Pulao cooked in Pressure Cooker. If you have been reading me regularly, No Onion Or No Tomato dishes scare me. So just to overcome that I took up this challenge of cooking No tomato Recipes. This was not cooked then, however when I realized I made this pulao without tomatoes, it cheered me. The inspiration for this pulao came from my colleague who had got this for lunch. I made it the very next day and everybody loved it. So I thought this makes a good recipe to record as well.

This is very easy and quick to get done. I mostly freeze ginger garlic paste and sometimes green chili paste as well. If you have these handy, this dish doesn't even take 30 mins to get cooked.

If you are interested in cooking Rice in different ways, check out this collection of over 130 Rice Recipes and 62 Rice Recipes

You can make these Side dishes for Pulao  or Biryani

Pressure Vegetable Pulao without Tomato under 30 mins

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Rice - 1 & 1/2 cup
Water - 3 cups

Whole Spices

Cloves - 4
Cinnamon - 2"
Bay Leaf - 2
Marti Moggu - 3

Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Green chili paste - 2 long

Spice powders

Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 3/4 tsp
Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp


Beans, 1 inch chopped - 1 cup
Carrot, 1 inch chopped - 1/2 cup
Potato cubes - 1/2 cup
Fresh Peas - 1/2 cup
Onions. julienne - 3/4 cup

Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp

How to make the Pulao

Wash and soak the rice for 10 to 15 mins.

Prep the vegetables and chop, keep it aside.

If the pastes are not ready, grind now.

In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and ghee. Add the bay leaf, all the other whole spices saute well.

Next, add the onions, saute till it turns colour. Now add the ginger garlic paste and green chili paste.

Continue stirring till it turns colour. Now add diced vegetables, salt and turmeric powder. Simmer for 5 mins with lid covered.

Now add all the spice powders, combine everything well.

Next, add the water and bring to boil. Stir everything well and check seasoning.

Add the drained rice and give a stir.

Cover with pressure cooker lid and cook for 3 whistles.

Once the pressure falls down, fluff with a fork and transfer to the hot box.

Serve with raitha

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

This goes for the June Week 1, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,