Capsicum Bath | How to make Bell Pepper Mixed Rice

For the final day of cooking with Capsicum, I have a spicy delicious bath made with Indian spices and capsicum. This is a typical Mixed Rice version where a roasted spice powder is ground and mixed with a sauteed capsicum into cooked Rice. 

I was inspired to make this right away when Nandita posted on her Instagram and the picture was very tempting. I had to make this right away and I did on the weekend that happened soon. I made it as spicy I could manage, which is quite high and paired it with just Raitha on the side. Of course, it was only the elders who indulged in this spicy masala bath.

I enjoyed cooking with capsicum. Though this is a veggie that wasn't my favorite few years ago, as expected with years passing by, I got so attached to it. There was a time when this got featured in the pizzas, I would so religiously pick it out. Now I go out of my way to get these and use it often.Still I haven't reached the stage of eating it raw. One never knows what life has in store, I might just do it sometime!

Capsicum Bath

Ingredients Needed:

For the Ground Masala

Dry Red Chilies - 7 to 8
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 5 to 6
Cinnamon sticks  - 1
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Peppercorns -  1 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Coconut grated - 2 tsbp
Oil -1 tsp

Roast all ingredients in oil, cool and grind to a smooth powder.

For the Capsicum Masala

Capsicum cubed - 2 cups
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard, Urad Dal  - 1/2 tsp
Peanuts - 2 tsp
Curry leaves handful
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a nonstick pan, temper with curry leaves, mustard, Urad dal, peanuts and capsicum cubes.

Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, combine everything and simmer for the capsicum to get cooked. This takes about 5 to 7 mins of stirring.

Ensure the capsicum is soft and well cooked, still firm.

For assembling the Rice

Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Capsicum Masala
Ground spice powder

Take the cooked rice in a wide bowl. Add the capsicum masala over it, fluff it well.

Then add the ground spice powder, combine everything gently with a fork.

Ensure all the grains are well coated. Let the flavors steep in.

Serve with papad and raita. Mostly this is just fine with papad.


Make sure Rice is just cooked and not too mushy.

This rice tastes best when cooked and prepared at least few hours ahead.

Make this spicy as this tastes best on its own.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

Labels: , , , , , , , ,