Hotel Style Thakkali Kara Chutney | How to make Kara Chutney ~ Step by Step

Chutneys are everybody's favorite. Especially the chutneys made in the hotels, all those different flavours served along with dosas and idlis in a South Indian Restaurant, is surely something we want to try at home. Today's recipe is from my mobile memo, noted many years ago when I had tasted this in one of those restaurants that we had our breakfast. 

As always the cook wasn't very clear with his measurement, however, he just said these are the ingredients that go into making the Thakkali Kara chutney that was served. I made a quick note in my memo and then completely forgot about it. While checking out the different memos, this came up and thought I should try it out.



Hotel Style Thakkali Kara Chutney

Ingredients Needed:

Tomatoes - 4 big
Garlic - 5 to 6 cloves
Dry Red chilies - 7 to 8
Jaggery a tiny piece (I skipped)
Salt to taste

For Seasoning

Oil - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves handful
Hing a big pinch
Mustard, Urad, Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp


How to make the Hotel Style Thakkali Kara Chutney

Wash and chop the tomatoes. In a mixer jar, take the garlic cloves, dry red chilies and pulse for a couple of times.

Since my jar doesn't grind smaller quantity to a fine paste, I do this step first.

Next, add the chopped tomatoes, and blend to a smooth paste. Add salt.

Heat a nonstick pan with oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard seeds, urad dal and Cumin seeds. Then add the hing. Saute for a minute. Then add the ground paste.

Cook till oil comes out on the sides. If you are addng the jaggery, add at this stage. Add oil if required.

I am told that water is sometimes added according to needs. However, I made it without water. This stays good for a couple of days if water is not added at all.



This goes for the April Week 3, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.


Labels: , , , , , ,