Bakwan Sayur | How to make Indonesian Vegetable Fritters

For the third and final day of making Fritters from different cuisines, I have one from Indonesia called as the Bakwan. This is their version of Tempura. And depending on the ingredients you add, the name changes. The most common is the vegetable version in which shredded cabbage and shredded carrot are added and thats what I have done as well. When they add Shrimps to it, its called Bakwan Udang or shrimps fritter. And for hot spice, these fritters are served with fresh raw thai chilies. Typically take a bite of the bakwan, then a bite of Chili and you just go on and on. I am sure this way of eating would be quite popular in Andhra.

I was almost not making it last night. I was glad I did and I was planning on the picture as well and wanted to use the sheet that Padma gave me. The green looked so lovely I felt. Coming to the fritters, we all enjoyed it as its quite quick to make.

The difference in this fritter is the use of Rice flour along with Maida, almost same as what we make. So apart from the vegetables and spice used, it was almost like our Indian version. This recipe is adapted from here and I also had of other  asian version to make. That's surely for next time.

School has started for Konda and I know we got to get busy with daily work. However boys are still enjoying their vacation as their school reopens after a week. They generally stay up late and wake up late. They even wondered when I leave for work. I was just telling them that they got to get used to their school timings now.

Then it will become more hectic for all us, until then we will enjoy our time! And this is one of the best ways to enjoy, by indulging in Deep Fried Love! Fritters across the globe has been an interesting theme, especially given the liking everybody at home has, rather Konda and Athamma. So I had fun time cooking up for this theme.

These delicious fritters goes for my Kids Delight event, hosted by Sandhya themed on Snacking all the way.

Bakwan Sayur

Ingredients Needed:

Shredded cabbage - 1 cup
Shredded carrot - 3/4 cup
Scallions / spring Onions thinly sliced
All purpose flour - 3 - 4 tbsp
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ground pepper - 1 tbsp
Water for making the batter
Garlic, peeled and grated - 2 -3

Oil for deep frying

This is Commonly served with Thai chilies, Tomato sauce and Chili sauce

How to make Bakwan Sayur

Shred the cabbage, spring onions and carrot. In a bowl, take all the ingredients and mix with the flours. Adjust spice and salt.

Heat oil for deep frying.

Using a spoon, drop in small amount of batter and just enough to fry well. Do not crowd the oil.

Flip on both sides to cook well and using a slotted spatula, drain on to a kitchen towel. Repeat until all batter is used up.\

Serve immediately with some Thai chilies, or a combination of tomato sauce and chili sauce.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM

Labels: , , , , , ,