For the final day of making Temple Prasahads, I selected to make Gurdwara's Karah Prashad. Its a halwa made with equal measures of wheat flour, sugar and ghee. This almost resembles the
Godumai Halwa of Tamil Nadu. However the process and the procedure followed differs. Plus the final texture is quite different.
I read on the prashad and though I am yet to read much on Sikhism and their spiritual learning, as yet, it was interesting to read on when and how this Prashad is made. This recipe is inspired by this
post. This post elaborates the process in cooking this Prashad and how one has to observe while making this Prasha.
Prashad is prepared for gurdwara services in the langar facility by sevadar volunteers who follow a specific protocol outlined in the Sikhism code of conduct. The
Langar guidelines are laid down for the followers to observe the rules even while making this Prashad.
While
I have read about other religions and tried understanding their
teaching, I seem to have somehow not gone through Sikhism and I felt I
should read further on the spiritual teachings. On the whole, making
this at home was enlightening in many ways.One I made it at 11 at night,
with the whole world trying to sleep, while I was left with a boiling
pan, with a halwa simmering and trying to teach you things you ought to
learn, even at that late hours. I tried recollecting what they said I
should recite, I couldn't remember all of it. However I hope His
blessings are showered on this pudding and on all those who partook
this.
I would to say that this recipe is adapted from what I have read online. It was so delicious that I wished I had the opportunity to taste the real Prashad.
Karah Prashad
Ingredients Needed:
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 cup + 2 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup + 3 tbsp
Water - 3 cups
How to make the Karah Prashad
In a saucepan, mix the sugar and water. Bring the water to boil. Continue boiling for 10 mins, till it becomes a thick syrup.
In a non stick pan, add the ghee and flour, saute well for about 10 mins till the flour is roasted well.
Then slowly add the water, making sure you add it slowly and in parts.
When the halwa almost gets cooked for over 20 mins, as you keep stirring, add the remaining sugar and ghee slowly to get the desired consistency and taste.
When the halwa slides down, the halwa is done.
Check out the
Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM