Thursday, March 12, 2015

How to make Scallion pancakes | Chinese Spring Onion Flat Bread

For the final day of making Flat Breads, I settled on Scallion Pancake. When I was doing International BM, for X when we had the option to select Chinese cuisine, I almost wanted to make this. Then I thought it was too simple a dish for a theme that exotic. And here I am making it for yet another theme that is supposed to boarder on big things.

I am in no way belittling this delicious flat bread. Infact I loved it so much that I simply ate it as such. However I was looking forward to learn some new techniques and new breads. This turned out to be too simple for thoughts. When I actually got down making it, I realized the dough is quite hard to handle. I was rolling it out, while Athamma was looking at me. We conclude the dough needs more resting for the dough to become soft and easy to handle. Just like our Poli dough.

When I was thinking about Scallion, I was actually thinking how it might taste without any spice in a flat bread, and on top adding it raw. I was in for a surprise on how good it tasted after being cooked. I am not sure for how long the dough is rested, I felt it needs considerable resting time for it to be easily rolled out and cooked.

For couple of flat breads, I even sprinkled chili flakes and it turned out to a great snack dish!

Given my love for flat breads, especially our Indian varieties, I felt I really need to expand my knowledge on global level, in terms of the regular everyday flat bread one makes. On the various sites and cuisines I must have read for this theme, I realized across different cuisine, everyday bread is so simple and yet so deliciously made. It's not your fancy, hours on end bread that takes up it's place on the table. while those breads feature too, these simple rustic flat bread has lot of similarities across different cuisine, made unique with the local available ingredient.

So this is a theme that I will be pursing further and expanding my knowledge on this. I hope you enjoyed this theme as much as I have done, making and eating them.




How to make Scallion pancakes

All purpose flour - 2 cups
Salt to taste
Water for kneading

Scallion / Spring Onions - 1/2 bunch
Salt for sprinkling
Oil for cooking

Red Chili flakes as per taste (my addition, opt)

How to make the Scallion Pancakes

Take the flour in a wide bowl, add salt and slowly add water to knead to a soft and pliable dough. Let it rest for 15 - 20 mins. Once done, knead again to make it more soft.

Pinch out equal balls. Finely chop the spring onions, along with the onions, shred well.

Add oil to the dough and roll out to a thin sheet. Sprinkle the finely chopped spring onions all over, sprinkle some salt and some chili flakes if adding.

From the bottom end, start rolling up, covering the scallion inside. You will end up with a rope, tightly roll again to ensure the rope is sealed well. Then roll inward to make a disc. Add oil and roll out a disc.

Heat a griddle/ tawa, grease with oil and place the flat bread and cook on both sides.

Continue cooking till golden spots appear and the roti is crispy.

Serve hot with sauce or side dish of your choice.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


9 comments :

Priya Suresh said...

I can have couple of this pancakes without any guilt, love it to the core.

sneha datar said...

These pancakes looks amazing.

Archana Potdar said...

The title brought a smile to my face. I remember the pancakes conversation we had. Loved these awesome pancakes.

Pavani N said...

I made these scallion pancakes for another group and they are not very simple to make. The dough is quite sticky and the rolling the pancakes also need some practice.
Yours turned out just so perfect.

Padmajha PJ said...

This is one of my favorite Chinese street food! Had I known,I would have dropped in and helped myself to these delicious pancakes!!

Harini-Jaya R said...

Wow! I bet they were flavorful. So similar to the parotta right?

vaishali sabnani said...

Spring onions lend a very delicious flavor and using them raw gives them a mile crunch.. Here they bget cooked but definitely a wonderful pancake.

Priya Srinivasan said...

Missed this since i couldn't get some fresh scallions!!! i love the way it is spread onto the rolled dough and rolled again!! gives a nice texture to the pancake!

Suma Gandlur said...

We enjoyed them too and probably I will add wheat flour next time when I make them for a healthier version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...