Sunday, March 15, 2015

Chicken Pulusu | Chicken Kura ~ Side Dish for Biryani

For the Cooking with Cookbook Challenge this week, it's yet another Chicken Gravy from Amma. She has so many variations with her, that I feel unless I note down all of them, I won't be able to remember all. 

Sunday lunches are elaborate affairs at home. Even though our Sunday breakfast is heavy, we still go ahead with making an elaborate lunch. So by the time we finish off it's pretty much close to 3 pm. That doesn't get us change our habits. It only makes me want to explore all the recipes she has written down or creates as she cooks. 

The menu sometimes tends to be the standard one. It's mostly Masala Rice with Chicken Gravy. The Masala Rice gets varied each time I make and we also see to it that the gravy is changed every week. After making the same type of dishes for past many weeks, we felt we need to change and decided to make this chicken biryani.

Since I have never tasted a chicken biryani ever, I don't know how it tastes. Or if just raitha is enough. I have met some people in life who strongly feel about serving a gravy with a biryani. They have expressed that the gravy rules the biryani and one can't feel or experience the biryani taste. While I do believe this notion, as the times I have prepared Vegetable Biryanis, I mostly make only onion raitha. I somehow felt the biryani needs to be appriciated on it's own and not be sidelined by the gravy.

I felt it must be same with the Chicken biryani too. However, I have always known Amma making a gravy when she makes biryanis. So I have got used to making this combination as well. There have been instances when I felt what's the need to spend so much time laboriously working on a biryani, when I have to make a gravy as well. I might as well make rice and this gravy. Well those days are mostly when I am pressed for time or really busy. Still the protocol can't be ignored.

So coming to the discussion on hand, this Chicken gravy is supposed to be quite mild and quite thin enough to be mixed up with the biryani. I was told that it enhanced the biryani taste. I trust my kids approvals. Even quite young, they are connoisseurs of such dishes. And they normally don't bother about hiding their feelings. The wholehearted approval and the wish to eat it again for dinner, proved this combination was a hit.


Chicken Pulusu

Ingredients Needed:

Chicken - 250 gms
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1
Onions - 1 medium
Tomato Puree - 1 medium
Curds - 2 tbsp
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coconut, grated - 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves handful
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the Chicken Pulusu

Dry roast the fennel and coconut till golden and grind to a paste once it's cooled. Keep it aside.

Wash and drain the chicken in a colander.

Heat kadai with oil, add the whole garam masala, saute well. Then add the onion, saute till it changes colour.

Add the chicken pieces, saute well and add salt and turmeric powder. Combine everything well and simmer till the chicken is well coated.

Next add red chili powder and continue sauteing till the chicken gets browned, now add the tomato puree and cook.

Then add the curds and mix well. When you see the moisture is almost evaporated add the coriander powder and mix well.

Once the chicken is well coated and oil comes out, add water and bring to boil. At this stage add the fennel and coconut paste, mix well and simmer again. The gravy should be thin as it's served with biryani.

Finally add the coriander leaves and remove


This goes for the March Week 2, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.


Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


3 comments :

Pavani N said...

That sounds like a flavorful chicken pulusu. I never made gravy with biryani, though my husband mentioned it couple of times. Will try that combo some time.

Chef Mireille said...

I always just eat biryani on its own but this chicken gravy sounds delicious even with just some plain basmati

Suja Ilangovan said...

This gravy sounds flavorful & mouth watering, Valli. Love your presentation too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...