Kati Roll with Curried Onion Potato | Onion, Potato in Parotta Roll

We are starting the new year with yet another interesting theme for this month's BM#48. It's going to be Rolls and Wraps. The condition was that we should use either a flour based or vegetable based and not a typical roll as in snack. This is one of my favorite theme and I love experimenting with it.
 
I was supposed to do Chaats but got delayed and since I made this wrap for Konda's school lunch, I thought I could easily do this theme this week. Konda's school started yesterday, while boys school reopens on Monday. All of thursday I was asking what she wanted me to pack for her. I was remembering with just one lunch box to pack, I could do some kati Rolls.
 
I remembered the Kati Roll shop that was functioning near my work place. They made their base with the typical Tamil Nadu parotta and not the tridional wheat flour Kati roll as it is made in Calcutta, where these Kati rolls originated. I have couple of Kati Rolls already done, like the Paneer Frankies, Pindi Chana Wrap, Onion Paneer Wrap, Paneer Jalfreni.
 
I wanted to try with the typical parotta and see if I can recreate the same taste that I liked from that restuarant. It was a busy firday monring and by the time I got done with the lunch preparation, I had only time enough to pack these for my lunch as well. I enjoyed a hearty meal, I was sad that I carried only two as there were folks to share. Konda said it was so delicious and wanted it to be made again.
Well nothing like a great wrap to please the kids. I do think I can make this for breakfast as well and make it during a holiday time as well!


Sending this to my Breakfast event and to Sandhya, for my Kid's Delight, themed on Holiday Special.






Kati Roll with Curried Onions and Potatoes

Ingredients Needed:

For the Roll

Maida / All purpose flour - 1 & 1/2 cup
Cold Butter - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee for geasing
Oil for cooking

For the stuffing

Potatoes, cubes - 1 cup
Onions, julinnes - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pav Bhaji Masala - 3/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Kala Namak a pinch
Salted Butter/ Table Butter - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Parotta

In a wide bowl, take the flour and cold butter. Rub well so that you get flaky parotta. This need not rest as you are adding cold butter.

Add salt and slowly add water to knead to a soft dough.

How to make the stuffing

MW the slashed potatoes for 5 mins. cook and peel. Cube into 1 inch pieces.

Heat a non stick pan with butter, saute onions till they turn colour. Then add the potato pieces. combine everything well.

Add all the spices and toss around till the pieces get coated well.

Remove and cool.

To make the roll

Make equal balls, dust and roll out as thin sheets. Dust with flour and spread little ghee on top. Then fold as pleats to make the layers.

Make as a rope and then dust well and roll it again. Heat a tawa and cook the parotta.

Remove and on top of the parotta, place the stuffing in the middle. Fold from the bottom and cover with sides to completely cover the stuffing.

You can use foil to make the roll stay in place.

Serve or pack.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 49

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,