Monday, November 17, 2014

Vellai Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu | More Kuzhambu

We are starting the 3rd week of BM# 46, this week with Combo Dishes. These combo dishes were suggested by the BM Members and it surely makes a wonderful set of dishes to make. Each combo dish famous from different states and cultures. I was surely interested to take this up.

However I couldn't make this before this weekend and it was such an hectic schedule to make all the combos. I was so happy that I managed to make all the combos. This Mor Kuzhambu is typically from Tamil Nadu and very much like the Kadi of North India. I have some varieties of  Mor Kuzhambu and was planning to check out new versions.
So I checked who had suggested this combo and found it was PJ. I landed at her place and checked out her version. It was quite different from how I make and wanted to make her version of Mor Kuzhambu and a paruppu usili. I have made all versions of Usilis, so only one left out was this Carrot Paruppu Usili.

I made it for Saturday lunch and everybody loved it so much! Infact my father loved it so much that he wanted it for dinner as well.Must thank PJ for this delicious dishes!

For the first day under Combo Dishes, I made Mor Kuzhambu and Carrot Paruppu Usili.






Vellai Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu
 
Ingredients Needed:

Vellai Poosanikai/ White Pumpkin / Ash Gourd, boiled - 2 cups
Fresh curd -  2 cups
Turmeric powder a pinch
Besan / Bengal gram flour - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

For Tempering

Mustard seeds, Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoeteda a pinch
Curry leaves handful
Cooking oil - 1 tsp

Grind to a smooth paste :

Green chillies -  4 long
Ginger - 1” piece
Grated coconut - 5 tbsp
Cumin Seeds / Jeera - 1/2 tsp

How to make the Vellai Poosanikai Mor Kuzhambu

In a bowl take the curds and beat along with salt and turmeric powder.

For the ground masala, chop coconut finely and make a paste along with cumin, green chilies and ginger.

Heat oil in a non stick pan, add all the seasonings. When it spultters, add the beaten curd, ground paste and the boiled vegetables.

Add a little water to the besan and keep aside.

When the curd mixture starts to boil, blend in the besan paste.

The mixture will thicken on boiling.

When it reaches the desired consistency,remove from heat and serve with rice

This tastes so delicious with Carrot Paruppu Usili.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 46

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


17 comments :

Usha said...

What's that vegetable you used in the kuzhambu? It looks good and have to try mor kuzhambu

Varadas Kitchen said...

That thali looks nice. The features combo looks nice too. What vegetable did you use for the kadhi?

Manjula Bharath said...

wow such an healthy and tempting mor kuzhambu :) its making me hungry now !!

Srivalli said...

Thanks guys, updated the english name of the vegetable..:)..it's white pumpkin or ash gourd...

vaishali sabnani said...

Have been reading about this combo and loving it..and the Thali looks great..very tempting.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

i recently brought one whole white pumpking and made nothing of it...wish this occurred to me earlier the meal looks lavish

Srividhya said...

Love ash gourd in sambhar and in kootu :-) Thali looks so perfect

Archana Potdar said...

Lovely thali Valli and this is my favourite kadhi.

Nivedhanams Sowmya said...

thought I commented here, but not there!!! anyway.. love the delicious combo of parupu usli and mor kuzhambu!!!

Padma Rekha said...

Mor kozhalambu and any paruppu usili one of the perfect combos.Looks so tempting.my more kozhalambu is little differet the yours specially masala.

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, am hungry now, wat a comfrting kuzhambu,i can have mor kuzhambu anytime.

sneha datar said...

My God what a lavish platter, can I join for the meal.

Harini-Jaya R said...

Thats is a fantastic spread, Valli. Love the white pumpkin!

Pavani N said...

That is such a comforting and delicious combo. I love these buttermilk based dishes but don't make them often cos no one eats at home :-(

Chef Mireille said...

kuzhambu is something I have yet to try but I am sure it tasted great with the carrot

Jayanthi Sindhiya said...

Tasty and delicious South Indian Thali...I feel full, yet now I am hungry looking at this :)

Archana Potdar said...

Mmmm my favourite style. Love it. Great you cold do the combos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...