Friday, November 14, 2014

Chicken Varuval | Spicy Dry Fried Chicken Tamil Nadu Style

We have been blessed with endless showers and chill weather the past week. It almost makes you forget how hot it is mostly. Of course spending a major part of the day at office, I don't know how hot it is actually. I get to hear about it from others. So enjoying the chill weather is simply great!

So in these chill weather, one might love to dig into this spicy chicken fry, that my kids enjoyed this weekend. Amma saw the recipe in one of the TV shows and wanted to try. I have almost given up trying to see if the recipe is something I might have tried already.

We made for the Sunday lunch along with a Andhra version of Chicken Gravy and this fry served with rice. I just checked the versions I have, thankfully I seem to have made it slightly different ways. As we know, even adding some spices before and after changes the taste so much! That prompted me to record this version here.

 

Chicken Varuval

Ingredients Needed

Chicken - 1/2 Kg
Onions, minced - 1 big
Garlic, minced - 1 tsp
Ginger, grated - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch

For the Spice powder

Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Whole pepper - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilies - 2 -3 nos
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Coconut, grated - 1 tbsp

Coriander leaves for garnish

How to make the Chicken Varuval

Wash and drain the chicken pieces.

Dry roast all the spices listed under spice powder and cool. Then grind to a smooth powder. Keep it aside.

In a kadai, heat oil. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute till the colour changes.

Then add the drained chicken, saute well on high. Then add salt and turmeric powder. Let it cook on high for the moisture to evaporate.

Once the chicken is almost dry, add the ground spice powder all over the chicken pieces and simmer. Combine everything well and cook in sim for 15 - 20 mins.

Remove lid and check if the chicken is cooked. Once again cook on high till the masala is well coated to the chicken.

Remove after garnishing with fresh coriander leaves


 
This goes for the November Week 3, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.



Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


4 comments :

Irene said...

Looks yummy!

Usha said...

I would not mind this spicy chicken in this cold weather. I actually marinated chicken for a gravy and wondering if I should make this instead. Yum!

yung@foodyoo.com said...

Well...I like this very much. I like all the spices and cook with high heat. But the only problem for me is always that it is always too spicy to me for Indian food. Thinking to omit the dry red chilies totally or add paprika powder instead. Because I know that dry chilies are extremely hot. :)

Anu Priya said...

Best Recipe. I loved it. Thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe with us. Spices Online

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...