Saturday, September 27, 2014

Vazhakkai Curry 2 | Raw Banana Fry | Lunch Box Series : LBS#76

For the CCC this week, I have this simple, yet tasty side dish that you can make for Sambar Rice or any of the Mixed Rice dishes. Amma had made this sometime back and I simply loved it. I generally love any stir fry with raw banana. This was surely made different. The best part of this was that even Konda liked it a lot.

The other stir fries that I have made with raw plantain were this Vazhkkai roast, Stir Fry and regular one as well.

We are winding up with our ABC international cooking in BM. I wanted to make sure I don't miss out the weekly challenge that I have here. I know its been a while since I actually looked up a recipe book to cook for this challenge. However I wanted to make sure I make all the ones I have got from Amma.

So enjoy this delicious stir fry with raw banana.


Vazhakkai Curry 2 

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Plantain - 2 nos
Onion - 1 medium
Curry leaves handful
Mustard seeds, Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Green Chilies - 2 nos
Turmeric powder a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp

For the Ground Masala

Coconut, grated - 3 tbsp
Dry Red chilies - 3 -4 nos

How to make the Vazhakkai Curry

Peel and cube raw plantain into 1 inch cubes. In a pan, bring water to boil, add the chopped plantain and simmer till it gets boiled and soft. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric. Once done, keep it aside.

In a non stick pan, heat oil add cumin seeds, mustard, urad dal. Let it splutter. Next add the curry leaves, slit green chilies, onions, saute well.

Now add the ginger garlic paste and combine everything well till the raw smell leaves. Once done add the ground masala and cook well. This takes about 5 - 7 mins.

Then add the cooked plantain to the pan and mix everything well. Simmer with lid covered and cook for 5 mins.

Remove and serve hot as side dish for rice.
This goes for the September Week 4, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


6 comments :

Priya Suresh said...

I can happily have this curry with a bowl of rasam rice, mouthwatering here.

Sathya Priya said...

Comforting curry ..Love it

Mayuri Patel said...

Never would have thought of using plantain in this manner. I have made bondas, Pattis and kofta with it. Love the idea.
Please participate in the diwali event I am hosting. Thanks.
http://mayurisjikoni.blogspot.com/2014/10/event.html

Pavani N said...

adding coconut to raw banana curry sounds very interesting. Will have to try your version some time.

Suja Ilangovan said...

I can eat this curry for a meal by itself, Valli. Sounds so, delish!!

Chef Mireille said...

as you know I am a plantain addict so this is right up mmy alley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...