Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mangai Thokku | Mango Grated Pickle ~ Tamil Nadu Style

Learn to make this simple Mango Thokku, which tastes great with rotis, dosas or with curd rice.

Amma always makes this during the season and this time I learnt to make this from her. When I was making a series of mango dishes, I almost wanted to have a theme on it. However time simply flew and mangoes disappeared, without me even saying a proper goodbye. I felt so terrible, thinking my favorite fruits are not accessible until next season. And I didn't even make many desserts with them.

Every year I always plan well ahead to make some desserts and savory dishes. Over the years all the savory dishes have been covered and new dessert were added. This year I couldn't do much. However I am happy I learnt this pickle or thokku as it is called in Tamil, from Amma. This is very simple and easy to make. And this lends on the instant types with less shelf life. If you want to store it away, carefully refrigerate it, handling properly. Even after all that it only stays for a week, that is if you forgot about it. Else it is so addictive that you would eating it for every meal.
I have another version of Mango Thokku that again can be served with many dishes.


Mango Thokku Tamil Style

Ingredients Needed:

Grated mango - 2 cups
Sesame oil / Gingelly oil - 5 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chili powder 2 tbsp

For dry masala

Methi / Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp

How to make the Mango Thokku

Wash and wipe the mangoes clean. Then grate and measure 2 cups.

Dry roast the methi seeds and powder it fine. Keep it aside.

Heat a kadai with oil, add mustard seeds, hing, then add the grated mango, turmeric salt, red chili powder, cover and cook till the oil comes out.

When the mangoes are almost cooked well, add the dry roasted methi powder, mix everything well and remove.

Store in a dry container and use with a dry spoon.
Notes:

This is a short span pickle and has a couple of days life span. When refrigerated it stays for a week.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


1 comments :

Hasna Hamza Layin said...

aa... nice and spicy.. luvd it..even i was thinkng i haven't made any desserts with mango yet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...