Friday, July 4, 2014

Mamidikaya Pulihora | Green Mango Rice | Mangai Sadam

When it's Mango season, we always end up thinking what new we can make during the season. We have almost cooked and experiment whatever that's commonly prepared in South India, especially with unripe, green Mango. So it does come as a surprise when you come across a new dish.

Recently I happen to taste a mango rice that my colleague got for lunch. It tasted so delicious, that all I could think was to know what it was made. However she said her mom made and she didn't know the recipe. Her shift changed and I missed getting the recipe from her. I wanted to recreate the recipe at home, trying to think what might have gone into the dish.

I was explaining the experience to Amma, saying it almost tasted like a pickle or a Mango Thooku rice. Even the explanation I was given, almost looked like the unripe mango grating was cooked to almost thick paste and pickle masala was added. I also felt it had some dal taste.

So the experiment ended up with a different Rice dish, equally delicious and tasted almost like the pulihora given in Temple.

Mamidikaya Pulihora 1


While I was extremely happy with this new recipe that was based on what I heard from my colleague, I am hoping she will get me the recipe soon. So I will make that again when I lay my hands on it!
 




Mango Pulihora

Ingredients Needed:

For the Rice

Rice - 1 & 1/2 cup
Raw Mango, grated - 1 cup
Curry leaves handful
Roasted Peanuts - 2 -3 tbsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Hing a pinch
Salt to taste
Dry Red Chilis - 2 -3 nos
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp

For the Masala powder

Red chilies - 3 nos
Channa dal - 1 & 1/2 twp
Coriander powder - 1 & 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Methi - 3/4 tsp

Dry roast all the ingredients listed under masala power. Cool and grind to a smooth powder.

How to make Mango Pulihora

Wash and soak the rice for 20 mins. Add 3 cups of water and cook the rice. Keep it aside.

In a non stick pan, dry roast all the ingredients listed under masala powder. Cool and grind to a smooth powder.

To make the Rice

Heat a non stick pan with oil, temper with curry leaves, hing, mustard seeds, urad dal. Once it splutters, add the grated mango and turmeric, salt. Cook in simmer till the mango gets cooked well and becomes a mashy paste. Add the ground powder, and combine well.

Continue cooking with lid covered for 10 mins. When the mix comes together well, add cooked rice and mix everything well.

Adjust spice and finally add roasted peanuts. Peanuts can be add in the beginning as well.
This goes for the July Week 1, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


6 comments :

nayana said...

This tangy spicy rice is one of my favorites

Archana Potdar said...

I have to wait for one year to make this yumm rice. I hope you get the original one too wont be much different from what you have made.

Ishrath said...

Mom's default dish. Fast, easy and tasty.

Sonia said...

I am definitely going to try the mango pulihora. It looks so yummy.

Pranjali Naik said...

Hello..
your recipe looks wonderful..Never tried pulihora with mangoes. Bookmarked the recipe to give a try.

I am visiting your blog for the first time and happy to follow your blog

And I will be very happy if you follow my blog too...
http://www.foodydelight.com/

And also like my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/FoodyDelight

Chef Mireille said...

your step by step pics are looking so good in collage format - rice looks so inviting

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...