Before any method of cooking, it is always good to soak the rice. So depending on the type of rice, wash it well and soak it for minimum 15 minutes. Soaking helps in cooking the rice faster, saves fuel, minimizes exposure to high temperature and thus decreases the stickiness of the rice (and also increase the volume of cooked rice to some extent).
The different Types of cooking rice
Cooking with Pressure Cooker - Absorption Method:
In this method, we first boil water, four times the quantity of Rice. If you are cooking 1 cup of Rice, boil about 4-5 cups of water. When the water starts boiling, add the washed rice and cook with a partially closed lid. By placing a lid partially covered, we save fuel and also get the rice cooked faster. But ensure that you keep an eye on the lid, else the water will spill out.
When you cooking rice for making fried rice or other South Indian variety rice dishes like Lemon rice, Pulihora etc, the cooked rice has to be separated or non sticky. This can be achieved by cooking it with 1:2 cup rice, water ratio. This is normally cooked in a pan to ensure the rice retains its shape and is still half done or else you can use electric rice cooker.
When cooking rice to be served with Masala gravies or other rich dishes, the rice is sautéed in butter/ghee and then flavoured with whole spices. This makes the rice very aromatic and a great dish to be eaten as such too.
Ingredients:Basmati Rice - 1 cupWater - 1 cupSalt to tasteGhee - 2 tspWhole Spices:Bay leaf - 1 bigCloves - 2Cinnamon - 2"Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tspCardamom - 2
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan with ghee. Sauté the whole spices. Then add the drained rice. Sauté well in the ghee. Add 1 cup of water, salt. Let it boil.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Check in between once to mix it well. Then again cook with the lid covered. Once it’s cooked, switch off the flame and the rice can remain in the pan for 5 more minutes. This way the rice gets done well. Replacing 1/2 cup of water with diluted coconut milk will increase the flavor.
- When you are cooking Basmati rice, it’s normally advised to handle with care. It can be washed maximum once or twice. And soaked in the same water you are going to cook.
- When cooking, it has be to sautéed very gently so that you don't end up breaking the long grains.
- When cooking for fried rice, the rice has to be cooled to get the grains separated. This can be done by sprinkling a tsp of oil/ghee.
- Apart from these spices other whole spices like mace; star anise etc., can also be used.