Friday, January 3, 2014

Cabbage Masala Rice | Lunch Box Series : LBS#73

After a delicious start with the no fire chocolate balls, I decided to share this delicious Mixed Rice Variety, this time made with cabbage. While most time cabbage reeks, surprisingly you won't even find the smell from this time. 

It's been a while since I updated my Lunch Box Series, though there have been dishes that had been packed for lunch. I have been very particular about my lunch box being featured. So here is my lunch box again with the rice and vegetable I took to work. When kids and hubby were away last week, I enjoyed Amma's cooking and planned extensively on cooking new stuff that could be clicked away.

Infacy hubby dear had given strict orders on making the best of the time and make posts. Well it was hard to cook with nobody at home. However we still managed to make something interesting. As I was busy with Bake-a-thon posts, and baking, Amma was busy making my lunch. She made this Masala Cabbage Rice from some cookery show that she saw or maybe some clipping, I am not sure which. 

The rice tends to be quite spicy, so you can control it with the way you chop your green chilies or amount of red chili you use.

Either ways this is a wonderful rice, making sure you can't smell the cabbage, at the same time taking this to another level. This makes a delicious lunch box dish and I packed mine with a bowl of Bhindi stir fry

This goes for my Cooking with Cookbook Challenge, it's yet another wonderful group I have in my CCC members. It skipped my memory to do the announcement however we do have this on steadily!


Cabbage Masala Rice

Ingredients Needed:

Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Cabbage, shredded - 2 cups
Onions - 1 big
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Green chilies - 2 long
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder  1tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Curds - 1/4 cup
Oil - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish

How to make the Cabbage Masala Rice

Wash and soak rice, Cook and keep it ready. Best would also be to use left over rice.

For the masala

In a pan, heat oil and saute onions. When they start turning colour, add ginger garlic paste. finely chopped green chilies.

Then add shredded cabbage, salt, turmeric powder. Simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 5 mins.

After five mins, add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, curds. Cook till moisture leaves. Make sure the masala is dry.

Now add cooked rice add to the masala and mix everything well.

Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and switch off.


This goes for the January Week 1, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group



Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


13 comments :

Archana Potdar said...

Valli love the cabbage rice. Love the flavours and if you say it does nor reek of cabbage thats awesome for me.

Supriya Nair said...

Loved this combination. Never tried it. Surely a nice variation in the regular lunchbox fare.

Padmajha PJ said...

I love cabbage and try out all sorts of dishes with it! And cabbage rice is a really good one esp with that curry on the side. Great that you could find time to cook and click for new posts:)

Chef Mireille said...

I love cabbage and think its an under used veggie, this is a great way to utikize it

Suja said...

We can never have too many rice varieties! Love the flavors in this Cabbage rice, Valli.

Rebecca Subbiah said...

this looks great love the addition of the cabbage

Arthy shama said...

Cabbage masala rice looks awesome :)

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Such a healthy and flavorful rice,looks awesome...

Mallika said...

What a great idea! Happy New Year my dear

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Love cabbage in any form and in any dish! This is a lovely cabbage rice dish!

yung@foodyoo.com said...

The rice looks really good. But I really can’t take too spicy food. I think I will omit the chilies. And thinking to add some sausage and tofu, should be quiet nice. :)

Srivalli said...

Thanks everybody!

Yung Maybe you can add a bit of spice and other add on as well..:)

Poornima Molri said...

I love this since this is a one pot meal. We can never get tired of rice varieties...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...