Jam Biscuits | Cookies topped with Jam

After a miss on the Alphabets on I, which was supposed to be Irish Soda Bread, I am back on track for J with Jam Biscuits. It was still a brain wave when I remembered the Jam Biscuits. I remember reading about these on Lataji's blog, where she wrote about how she was forever reading those baked treats, fearing for egg, she never proceeded to check out the recipes. After many years, she mustered enough courage, armed with knowledge on egg substitutes, only to know that the egg was for the final wash. Imagine that! So many years wasted because we didn't have enough push to read through the recipe completely.

Mine has been similar in experience for a while, before I started a complete eggless baking. Why should I compromise on taste and experience just because I don't consume eggs. And yes the baking has been fantastic, only you got to have few essential pointers in mind. Those apply for baking with eggs as well.

When I remembered I got to do J, I remembered Lataji's cookies, that I have been wanting to bake for a while, and checked out. In the same browsing, I landed in Anu's recipe. Now here is another baker, who is excellent in doing eggless bakes. I was inspired to start right away. Today's recipe is more from Anu's, inspired to do these from Lataji's. Finally after so many years, I got around making these cookies. My boys loved the bright red colour on top.

As always in life, or at least with me, just when I needed something, it eludes me. So when I wanted to use those fancy cookies moulds and presses, I couldn't find them. I ended up pressing my thumb in center and filled it with jam. By the time I made the second batch, I remembered fork and tried doing a design on top and still my thumb impression in middle. For all the artistic I am supposed to be, some still stumps me like anything. This reminds me why I am not so much into cake decorating!

Hubby dear said it was soft and not crispy. I said that's how it is supposed to be. Well after all it's our bake and can't let it down right.

After a hectic Sunday, complete with nearly five to six dishes, I am ready for a relaxed week ahead.


Jam Biscuits

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
Butter, unsalted - 1/2 cup
Icing Sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Custard Powder - 3/4 cup
Corn Flour or Cornstarch - 4 tbsp
Curds/ Yogurt - 3 tbsp
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Mixed Fruit Jam as required

How to make Jam Biscuits:

In a bowl, cream butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.

Add in the plain flour, custard flour and corn flour and mix well. Stir in the yogurt and form into a smooth, round ball.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to roughly 5 mm thickness. Cut with a jam biscuit or cookie mould. If you do not have one, you can use a round cookie cutter and make an impression with your thumb to fill in the jam.

Place the biscuits on a greased baking tray and fill the impressions with the jam.

Bake in a preheated oven at 185C 15 minutes or till done.

Makes about 24 biscuits


For creaming the butter and the sugar, use a hand blender or hand beater to get the best effect. The cookies turn out very soft and airy.
I used Ready made Mixed fruit jam, you can use any flovour. Even homemade will taste great.

Labels: , , , , , ,