Sunday, December 1, 2013

Brinjal Gosthu ~ Side dish for Ven pongal

There are always some dishes that sound so simple and common place, yet you never make it yourself. Gosthu is one such dish for me. I actually came to know about this only after my blogging days and especially the fact that this is served with Ven Pongal was a new thing for me. So after having known this for so many years, I always wonder why I never made it myself.

Recently Amma was telling me that she has started making this for Pongal after reading her dairy. That dairy has been with us for so many years, with recipes that sound so delicious, especially when you imagine we wrote down during my college days. So Amma has been telling me how she has been making this and asked me to make it sometime. I realized this will make a wonderful dish for the Cooking for Cookbook Challenge.


For a moment there I was confused that I hadn't planned for the fifth week of November. We then decided to do this as part of November itself. 

I had taken this for my lunch and had a request to bring more the next week. So I had made for nearly five to six of my friends and carried a huge box full of pongal. 

I make Ven pongal two ways, both are equally liked.

Ven Pongal 1
Ven Pongal 2

For the November Week 5, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge










Brinjal Gosthu

Ingredients Needed:

Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Chana Dal - 1/4 cup
Brinjals - 4 medium
Onions - 1/2 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Tamarind extract - 1 tbsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Sambar powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coriander leaves handful
Green chilies - 1 long

For tempering

Oil - 2 tsp
HIng a pinch
Onions - 1/2 medium
Mustard , Urad dal
Curry leaves handful

How to make Gosthu

Wash the dals and take in a pressure cooker. Add twice the amount of water and pressure cook till soft.

Once the pressure falls, remove and add chopped brinjals, half of onions, tamarind, chopped tomatoes, all spice powders, coriander leaves, green chilies. Add 1 cup water and cover with lid. Pressure cook for another 2 whistles.

Wait for the pressure to fall and then do a tempering with the ingredients listed under tempering and pour the cooked dal and vegetables.

Bring to boil and simmer till the Gosthu is thick.

Serve with Ven pongal.



Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


11 comments :

Harini-Jaya R said...

Good one, Valli. We also make Gotsu (or gojju as we call it ) for ven pongal!

Chef Mireille said...

looks flavorful

Arthy shama said...

Brinjal kothsu looks yum, delicious. Would like to have with dosa/idly

nayana said...

sounds perfect for lunch or tiffin, looks very healthy n tasty too....

Sapana Behl said...

Sounds very flavorful side dish . As I like brinjals I will definitely try this !

Suja said...

We make a different version of this Gosthu. Yours looks wonderful too, Valli :)

Sapthanaa Vytheswaran said...

Yummy!!!

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Delicious brinjal kotsu,perfect with Venpongal.We make it slightly different with freshly ground spices but this method seems to be easy.

Vinitha said...

Brinjal has never been a common veggie at home. I am not the biggest fan. I should try this with pongal sometime.

Pavani N said...

Love that venn pongal & gosthu combo -- so filling & delicious.

Priya Srinivasan said...

Venpongal and gosthu are match made in heaven. You are tempting me to make this combo now!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...