Murg Musallam | Whole Chicken revisted ~ Step by Step Pictures

Over the weekend for the Deepavali, my SIL was visiting us. So as expected it was fun with all the kids running around. On my part, I had planned on making some new dishes as well as their regular favorite. We were meeting for the Deepavali after many years. A couple of years back, we had the tradition of meeting for the festival. Off late, it has been shifted to Sankranti. While Sankranti will be all about doing rangolis, eating sugar cane, Deepavali is surely about firecrackers. 

As the festival came on the weekend, it was a nonstop playing with those firecrackers for both the days. With breakfast mostly being traditional ones for the three days, the lunch again tended to be the regular dals and sambar. So I had to make something North Indian for dinner. On the Diwali day, since my inlaws do not have the habit of making nonveg, I took the chance to cook this at Amma's place.

We grew up on Diwali Idli, Dosa, and nonveg gravies. Later once I gave up on nonveg, it used to be chutneys that, though use to be an everyday fair, was still special on these days. 

So when my sils visited us during this festival, Amma used to make it for us. To follow the tradition, I said I would make this whole chicken or Murg Musallam, the dish that Amma used to make so often when she was eating. Somehow we stopped making this off late. I was surprised however that Athamma remembers this and was praising Amma's signature cooking on this.

Since the first time I shared this recipe was nearly seven years ago, the original pictures make me laugh at my own pictures. I also wanted to make sure I clicked step by step this time. It is a long process and takes time. However, there is not a person who wouldn't love this. Our relatives were so happy and blown away with the taste of this dish and my sil in fact wanted to have the step by step pictures to help her. I said I would be anyway putting this here for reference.
Ginger Garlic, Red Chili powder, turmeric, salt along with curds for marinating the chicken for 3 -4 hrs.
 The entire chicken skinned and marinated as a whole.
This is the masala for the gravy. Deep fried onions, fried garli, along with whole spices like coriander, peppercorn, cloves, cardamon, cinnamon, cumin seeds, roasted almond and the only change Amma wanted to do was to use whole red chilies. So we roasted that before grinding.
 This is ground a smooth paste.
 Salt and Garam Masala can be added at this stage.
 The entire chicken will be cooked, so heat the pressure cooker with butter and red chili powder.
 Take the chicken from the marinade, roast on all sides till it browns.
 Then add the marinade and cook further.
Since it was not possible to roast all the birds in the same pressure cooker, I used a kadai as well.
 The ground masala is add to the chicken and continue to roast on all sides.
 It becomes extremely tough to handle the bird, I managed using tongs.
 Finally the cooker is closed and cooked for a whistle. And simmered for 10 mins.
Once the pressure falls, continue to cook till your masala is thick.

Serve with ghee Rice
Read the recipe in the original Murg Musallam post and enjoy!

I am particularly not in the mood to re write the entire recipe..:)

Have a great week ahead!

Labels: , , , , ,