Kadhai Chole ~ Side dish for Chapati

This is yet another recipe written a while ago when I was browsing through Tarla Dalal's recipes. Since I seem to be always making channas so often, I thought I must try many as variations as they come. And I have a huge collection of channa dishes. So this is yet another recipe of the author.

Kadhai Chhole is nothing related to the name, it's named simply because it is made in a kadhai. Otherwise the masala used is the regular north indian masala. However since Konda loved this so much, I thought I can't miss out the chance of sharing it here for her sake. This happened on one of the weekdays when I was not sure what to make for dinner. I had a huge can of chana soaked and cooked. So hubby dear suggested I make a good option of cooking that for dinner. 

I must say it was the best suggestion as the channa lived up to it's name.









Kadhai Chole

Preparation Time: 10 mins.
Cooking Time: 20 mins.
Serves 4.

Ingredients Needed:

Kabuli Channa - 1 cup, soaked overnight
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Onions, finely chopped - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste -1  tsp
Tomatoes - 1 big
Chole Masala - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Amchur / Dry Mango powder -1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter -1 tsp

How to make the Kadhai Chole

Wash and soak the chana overnight. Change water couple of times and pressure till soft. Drain and save the water.

Heat a Kadai with oil, saute the onions till brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and saute well.

Now add the tomatoes and cook till soft. Then add the salt and all the spice powders, simmer till the masalas are cooked well. Now add the drained chhole and cook well.

Then add the saved water and bring to boil. Finally when the gravy thickens, add butter and switch after couple of mins

Serve with rotis.


For the November Week 4, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge




Labels: , , ,