Saturday, January 23, 2010

By the Book!

When Jayashree asked me to write about the cookbook that I use often, I was wondering which one to write about as I don't' follow one cookbook that much. I asked her if I can talk about the paper clippings and handwritten book from Amma, she said yes! So here are some of the books that I use sometimes and 4 huge files of complied papers.



The most cherished hand written book from Amma has recipes that she written from her Mom, and those that she learnt in the early years of marriage. Many are part of our regular cooking. some I have kept for the cookbook. That book is something we use so often. Apart from that small diary there are some 3 different big diaries that we maintain. Now of course I have the blog!


Those books from Sanjeev Kapoor are sometimes referred. Then those lovely books that look so pretty! But the other collection that you see down, are the files that I prepared with the paper clippings that Amma had with her for many years. Those handwritten books are recipes that are hit in our family that Amma makes, it was given to me when I started my own family!



Thanks Jayashree, I really enjoyed going through my collection and writing about it!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


11 comments :

notyet100 said...

wow lovely collection,,,

Khaugiri said...

Gr8 Srivalli!!!! Nice coolection and very well written with indexing. Even I have that sanjeev kapoor's book's collection gifted by my husband:)

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

OMG I am awed by the written ledger that you have with you!!! Infact even I dont follow just a single but its a cocktail ;)... I love Sanjeev Kapoor, but havent owned a book just have written notes from TV shows... Interesting to see your collection

Jennifer said...

This is very interesting, Srivalli. I find it most interesting you refer to two cookbooks for Indian meals or bases of Indian meals that are not even written in India most likely. Good Housekeeping is a famous homemaker/housewife magazine in US! How do these two books present the information compared to Indian ones- or even websites? I think you can find something to relate to as you are finding them practically useful! Very, Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

PJ said...

Those hand-written files are sure such a treasure to keep and cherish! Thanks for sharing. You should get them scanned so that you can continue passing them on and on to future generations :)

sra said...

I enjoyed reading this, Valli! I have to do it too, soon!

Srivalli said...

Thanks everybody...

Jennifer, abt Good Housekeeping I got it when I was in college because I liked the photos..but I have not prepared anything from it till now..when I buy books its mostly because I love the pictures..:)..that is why I am struggling so much for my own!..heheh..

anyway now that you said will read those books..thanks for the thought, it will surely help me.

Archana Vivek said...

Nice collection Srivalli..

Priya said...

U have a lovely collection Sri...

Ranjani said...

It's always priceless to have your mom's hand written book!

Jayashree said...

Thank you for taking this up, valli....enjoyed reading it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...