Yesterday was Peddu and Chinnu's third birthday and we celebrated at home with just family. Though I was thinking maybe their birthday would get me baking again, I couldn't as we went to temple and came back in the afternoon. After that it was too tiring to even think about it. What with the renovation that is going on at home, the house is really a mess. The kids were excited knowing about their birthday and the cake cutting. Though they hardly ate anything of the cake. I heard from Amma, that my niece was so excited that she passed on the news to anybody who came in the last two days.
Kadambam Sadam ~ Lentils and Vegetables cooked in Rice with Spices, One pot Meal
Rice - 1 & 1/2 cup
Toor Dal- 1/2 cup
Lentil mix can be anything that you like. I mixed handful of Channa dal, Moong Dal, Rajma, Dried Peas, Black Eyed Peas, Pea nuts, Jack fruit seeds. Not in the same quantity. Together they came to 1 & 1/2 cups
Vegetables - Potatoes, French beans, Carrots (can add more if you want)
Shallot Onions - 1 medium
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Salt to taste
Ghee/Butter - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5 nos
Mustard, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies - 2 -3
Spice powder to be ground:
Bengal gram/ Channa Dal - 2 tsp
Whole Coriander seeds- 1 & 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies Long - 5 -7 nos
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 2"
Black peppercorn - 4 -5 (opt)
Method to prepare:
- Wash and soak the lentils overnight or minimum 6 hrs.
- Was and soak Rice for 20 mins.
- Pressure cook the dried lentils along with Toor dal for 3-4 whistles till its cooked well.
- Transfer the content to another bowl, wash the pan and heat with oil.
- Season with onions, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 5 mins.
- Finally add the drained rice, cooked dal and add about 5 - 6 cups of water. Adjust the salt and cover the cooker.
- Pressure cook again for 2 -3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is off, remove the cover and add ghee
- Water is about 2 -3 cups extra to the usual 1: 2 ratio of rice: water. Since we have added lentils and rice, the water has to be more. Else on cooling, the rice will tend to become hard.
- Tamarind is not added but can be included to give that typical Sambar rice taste. Increase more tomatoes as I have done.
- Lentils and Vegetables are our wish and can be added as per what we like. The important thing to remember is to add enough water as the lentils absorb more.
- Since I stored jack fruit seeds in the freezer, added about 4 of them. It gave a good soft taste to the rice! If you don't' have you can ignore.
- You can also cook the masala separately and then just add to the along with rice and pressure cook.
Few of you have asked for a list of Deepavali sweets and savories that I am planning and also wanted suggestions. Will try to put up a list for ready access. Diwali is looked forward a lot in our parts of the world. How is your festival day preparations and what is planned? Do share would love to know them!