Friday, March 27, 2009

Ugadi Wishes with Ugadi Festival Lunch!

Ugadi Wishes to all my readers and friends!

Since we have a fixed menu for our Ugadi lunch, we decided we should do something different this year. Amma always makes Poli on Ugadi and Athamma makes Poli on all festivals. So I guess I can't beat that. Anyway since its a favorite with my kids, decided to make that along with a different stuffing too. Masoor dal is what was finally decided. Konda had a holiday but the boys had their school. So till they went, I didn't make much. Will give them these once they get back in the evening.

Ugadi always meant an elaborate lunch and of course the new cloths and Ugadi Pachadi along with Poli. I remember only eating polis the whole day through when I was young. And another very favorite sweet of mine was always these Poornam Boorelu or Suguntallu as we call them. Not sure of the spelling but that's what I remember it as. Whenever I visit my ammamma, my aunt used to make these specially for me and I used to eat them by tons! I had been meaning to make these for so long. Finally I thought today was the day.


The kids had a fun time trying to wear their sister's cloths. Somehow they like her colourful cloths and would like to wear them. Infact after Chinnu wore his sister's dress, he asked his father to click a photo of him. When it was time for their school, they happily waved us and left.

Since we weren't so keen on making vada, thought onion pokadas will be a good change.



Our Ugadi special today - Ugadi Pachadi, Brinjal Potato Curry, Onion Pakodas, Poli, Masoor Da Poli, Poornam Boorelu.

Ugadi Pachadi

Ugadi Pachadi is a special preparation prepared in every Andhra home on Telugu New Year’s day. Its made with tamarind, jaggery, fresh mangoes and neem flowers.


Each home will have different combinations. Apart from this, Chili powder, salt are also added. All these form the shadhruchulu or six tastes. This pachadi reflects life as it has a mix of sweet and sour things including some bitter and spicy moments. Elders say that we should eat this mixing all the taste to know life is a mixture of everything and we should have the alom to face all things equally!

Thinking of Ugadi pachadi, reminds of my days in parents home. Whenever Amma offers the Ugadi pachadi to Daddy, he will say, let me start this year with a sweet beginning but of course with a bit of this and that.

I have always known Amma making this with tiny Mango pieces, new jaggary, and tender neem leaves.

How was your Ugadi celebrations?

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


35 comments :

Happy cook said...

Wow that is waht i call a delcious festival lunch.

Asha said...

We just woke up here and getting ready to to go work and school as usual, I will make something later for dinner. Apart from that, life is as usual! :)

Thali looks yum!

Sailaja said...

Ugadi Subhakankshalu to you and your family!

We had an elaborate Ugadi lunch spread - Pulihora, Paramannam, Mamidikaya pappu, Vankaya Vepudu, Aratikaya bajji with coconut chutney, mango pickle, rasam and curd with white rice. And, of course, ugadi pachadi! :)

Would love to eat one of those poornam boorelu.

indosungod said...

Happy Ugadi! dear Valli. Delicious spread, especially the poli.

Sia said...

Valli, wishing u and ur loved ones a very happy Ugadi :)

expect me on ur door anytime because i am gonna fly bk to taste that fantastic spread!!!

Lavi said...

Happy Ugadi Srivalli.. My wishes to ur athamma and kid's..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Happy Ugadi,Srivalli!!
Hope you had a great time!! Enjoy the weekend :)

Anupama Krishnamurthy said...

Dear SriValli,
A very Happy Ugadi to you. You are way ahead of me. I am just right now thinking of making Obbattu. Enjoy your wonderful meal.

Anupama
Http://mitholimdo.wordpress.com

Cham said...

I am coming to ur home Valli. Happy Ugadi, love the spread!

Ranju said...

delicious spread !!! nice blog you have got here!!!

Ann said...

Happy Ugadi Sri....to you and family..Btw,missed your nutritious yummy lunch...real missing..

Priya said...

Happy ugadi...good start

Simran said...

Happy Ugadi

DEESHA said...

Happy Ugadi to you all .. we made Bisi Bele baath today for lunch .. The thali looks really yum

Uma said...

A very happy Ugadi to you and your family too!

Your platter is making me think "can I do all those yummy stuff?". But no way! I am a little lazy so let me see!

Mouth-watering festive treats Srivalli! Who ate those yummy treats are so lucky!

Superchef said...

wow!thats quite a spread..next time pls dont hesitate to invite me over :D

Bhawna said...

Happy Ugadi, Festival lunch is really full of festivity. Nice spread. Onion pakoda are yum...have to wait 9 days to try!!

Lavanya said...

hmm..yummy lunch..happy ugadi !!

Poornima Nair said...

Happy Ugadi to and ur family Sri...hope u would invite us over next time...thats such an awesome meal, making me hungry again.

Ashwini said...

Yummy Lunch..Happy Ugadi

Siri said...

Wishing you a very Happy Ugadi Valli :) the platter looks so yummy!

Cheers,
Siri

Chitra said...

lovely platter,hope u enjoyed well:)We are going to celebrate on april 14th,tamil new year:)

vidhas said...

Happy Ugadi, Valli. Platter looks yum. We also make this pachadi during tamil new years day, adding green chili to that.

SJ said...

Can you parcel something?Anything is ok...

Jaya said...

Valli,
happy ugadi wishes to you too ..and this looks absolutely delicious ,love that spread ..
hugs and smiles

Priya said...

The Ugadi feast looks great Srivalli. I wish I lived closer to your place :) I only made masala vada at home, went to a colleagues house and made poli and poornam boorelu there. So it was a fun day.

Maya said...

Happy Ugadi and a wonderful spread that is!

bee said...

yum yum yum. happy ugadi to you.

VIDYA VENKY said...

lovely...iam hungry now...

anusharaji said...

a bit delayed but
happy ugadi to u
spread is awesome
its been a while since i made boorelu

Srivalli said...

Thank you everybody for sharing your thoughts.

Asha, am sure you make it sound so easy!

Sailu, I checked out your spread and I was so hungry looking at the feast!

And a very warm welcome to all who would want to land at my door step!

Priya said...

Man, that looks so delicious. My mouth is watering. You are lucky to eat those!!! Can you please pass on some?

homecooked said...

The thali looks very festive and delicious! Fit for a king :)

Sharmila said...

Wow! what a spread Srivalli! :-)

VidyaK said...

Wish you and all your family members a very happy Ugadi :-)

Cheers :-)
Vidya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...