Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Doodhi Halwa ~ Bottle Gourd Halwa!

I guess I have thank my stars today. My computer has given up on me and I rebooted it so many times, I wasn't sure it would wake up! Luckily I have got it working in the end. So this hurried post to run my marathon! I had planned for the JFI round up for today, but since that will take time to upload, thought I will do the next Halwa in line. This Halwa is hot as its coming straight from the stove! I had asked Athamma to have it grated, so all I did was to put it on the pressure cooker and then simmer for 10 mins. The halwa is ready!

Though the recipe asks for it to be cooked in sim, I knew I didn't have the patience for a slow cooking. I always have everything done in the pressure cooker! Other than putting this on for 3 whistles, I had it on for 5 -6 mins on high for the sugar to get melted and mixed well. Overall it took about 10 - 15 mins for the Halwa to be done. Except for the ceremonial checking for sweet, I didn't touch it. Of course, the tester is fast asleep, so will have to reheat it again for him and give his verdict. But trust me, that sampling proved that this is yet another tasty Halwa in making. Lauki as its called, I have always know for its halwa, though this is the first time I am making it.

Anu asked if its going to be Halwa week, and Lak said its going to be Halwa Mela, except I am going to cook. Yes I have planned for few more interesting halwas in making! Only hope I have my computer checked again tomorrow!



Lauki Halwa 

Ingredients Needed:

Bottle Gourd / Lauki / Doodhi, grated - 2 cups
Sugar - 1 & 1/2 cup
Kowa - 1 cup
Cardamom a pinch
Rose water few drops (opt) I didn't use

For Garnish

Roasted nuts
Ghee - 1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Peel the outer skin and grate the bottle gourd. Do not squeeze or throw away the water.

Easy way to get around this halwa, would be to pressure cooking it till soft.

Then add the sugar and cook on high, while you keep stirring it. Add cardamom. Cook till the sugar and gourd solidifies.

Then crumble the plain kova and simmer for 5 mins, while you mix it well.

In another pan, heat ghee and roast the nuts. Then sprinkle this over the halwa.

This had the consistency to become more solid, but I removed while it was still soft and not so thick.

Finally garnish with roasted almond.

Check out what my other marathoners made today:

DK , Siri , Anu, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha , Divya M, Lak, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya and Viji

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


31 comments :

raaji said...

great halwa series srivalli.......never tried halwa with pumpkin......

Uma said...

wow, another halwa from your kitchen! this looks delicious as well!

Madhu said...

Hope your computer doesn't give yu any more trouble, best veggi to do halwa with, we call it as damrot.

Roopa said...

wow srivalli, your blog is getting sweeter day by day :) , love the look of this dhudhi halwa, i never tried making halwa's with veggies, you have inspired me with these :)

Medhaa said...

looks yumm. loving your halwas. Hope the computer is feeling better tomm.

Bhawana said...

u r genius Srivalli. Halwa expert :). yummmmmmmmmmmmy halwa. I am also thinking of making this halwa. all the best.

Divya Vikram said...

Yet another halwa! Looks nice n inviting with the nuts..

Divya.M said...

Chains of halwas...im fond of halwas...lovely and yummy....

anudivya said...

Whoa! Computer giving trouble while running the marathon... oops, that is terrible. But you made it, and made it in style!
looks great :)

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

express halwa looks good & tasty dear. valli, i think doodhi is the name for bottle gaurd & bhopla is the name for White pumpkin. I am not much sure.

meeso said...

Mmmmm, looks and sounds great!

srikars kitchen said...

wow.. nice entry... looks yummy & delicious...

Vibaas said...

oh i love your halwa marathon :) I love doodhi halwa.

Varsha said...

wow..soo yummy..halwas r slurpy..i like carrot halwas d best..

Curry Leaf said...

Lovely,I like this one,waiting for more veggie halwas

Divya Kudua said...

Halwa's looking delicious...but guess what,I was fed too much of this while I was down with jaundice,since lauki is very good for the liver..amma used to make it with jaggery..I have avoided that veggie ever since..you are tempting me;-)

Nags said...

your posts are not only caloriful, but colorful too :) nice series for the sweet-toothed!

rekhas kitchen said...

yeh im waiting for this i love this one but no one will eat at home im looking at that plate and dreeming oooh lovely

Jayashree said...

Valli, you can easily make this in the microwave. Comes out just as well and quicker.

Priya said...

Hope ur computer is k now..pumpkin halwa looks simply delicious..

Happy cook said...

I am really shocked that you made this in pressure cooker. Really clever and it looks so yumm.
Now i have seen all these halwas, i wish i had eaten more halwas when i was in India.

Sia said...

my goodness valli. r u planning to break a record in making halwas everyday? :)

Swati said...

Yummy halwa .. never tried with lauki...

Sharmila said...

Way to go Sri! Now can we have something salty too? ;-)

Alka said...

I am wondering wht ripples ur halwa marathon will create if my parents or in laws got to know abt this.....they are simply crazy for halwas and we have a tough time to keep them away from all the prohibited sweets (due to Diabetes)
I had never tried essence in halwa,do u think it works positively,as far as flavor is concerned?
For my son,this is of course the best way to have doodhi :-)

Laavanya said...

What a lot of halwas you've been lining up Srivalli.. For a while I was thinking that it was Halwa Mela instead of Rice mela :)

PJ said...

Delicious series!!Waiting for the next halwa..

soma said...

Nice one!! I have heard so much about dudhi halwa.. but have never made it myself for some reason. may be i should now... have one in the refrigetor..

ranji said...

aaah..halwa week for u huh!!!i just realised it after seeing 4-5 recipes of halwas :)...this sure reminds me of the song aagayi aagayi halwa wali aagayi ,aagayi aagayi halwa wali aagayi( female version )..couldnt help singing it :D

Priya said...

that bowl of halwa is soo inviting Srivalli, I bought sorakaya and was planning on making a kheer, but I might now have to change my plans :) Enjoy your halwa spree :)

Smitha said...

Superb Halwa series! Now i am waiting for an opportunity to try all these halwas.. especially the beetroot halwa!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...