Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Panasa Thonalu ~ Traditional Andhra Sweet for Deepavali Celebrations!

I had tasted these for the first time recently, when hubby dear was given these by his colleague. She is from a background, where the traditional cooking is still in the vogue! Infact when he happened to drop in for lunch, he was served a curry that reminded him of his grandmother. He was telling me that I should talk to her and get insight into their cooking. I am yet to find an opportunity to do that. So when she had made these sweets, I was impressed by the shape and taste. She was supposed to show me a demo on how they make these shapes, but we couldn't make it. When I showed the sweets to Amma, she said she knows another proportion for making Kaja, but she never attempted to shape them this way.

On the day when we were preparing the kajas, we happened to watch these panasa thonalu, over the tele. She said something very fast, only later I recalled the name of this sweet. I couldn't spend much time seeing the chef who was making these, but I had a rough idea. When I got down making these, they turned out so simple. Since I already made the dough and prepared kaja, I wanted to try the other proportion that Amma knows. This method does not require resting time, as ghee is used instead of Dalda. And you can proceed with the process right away!

Kids are back to school today. Konda somehow didn't complain on going to school, whereas the boys cried as they are going after 3 days. I was working both the days, whereas hubby dear was at home, so all the boys had a gala time, playing and napping together. As such both of them are very attached to their father. When he is carrying them both, they won't even come to me, so spending two full days with him, they have become even more. I call the boys his soul mates!

Now coming to these famous sweets called Panasa thonalu, they are called so because they look like Jackfruit bulbs. Eating each strip one by one is fun!


Panasa Thonalu

All purpose Flour / Maida - 1 cup
Ghee - 1/4 cup and 2 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Maida for dusting
Oil for Deep frying.

Method to prepare:

In bowl, take the maida and ghee. Rub in the ghee well, till you get the crumble. Then slowly add water and knead a pliable dough.

Meanwhile melt sugar and remove scum if any. Then cook till you get one thread consistency.

Divide the dough into small balls of size smaller than regular pooris. Dust the dough and roll out as you do your regular pooris. Roll them as thin as possible.

Using the knife, leaving an inch intact, make long insertions, vertically towards the end. Continue to do so till the end as shown in the picture.

Gently remove from the board, gathering the uncut disc. Shake the disc a bit and the strips will fall as long strips.

Gently drop them into hot oil and cook in sim on both the sides. The trick to get all of the as separate, is to make them as you fry them. When you prepare these shapes and allow them to rest, they will loose shape!


When its cooked on all sides, drop these into the sugar syrup. Let it soak for 5 mins, then remove.

Once they are cooled, store them in an air tight container.

I am sending a box of these to Aparna, who is celebrating her blog's first anniversary. I hope she likes these!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


30 comments :

Priya said...

I totally forgot about these sweets Srivalli! Seeing the photo sent a bulb aglow in my mind :) Your deepavali spread looks enviable! Hope you guys had fun.

Ann said...

Sri,I am totally fall in for your sweet pictures and writings..Hope you have celebrated enough.I am not a sweet person as such,but your pictures made me drool..happy deewali.

indosungod said...

Valli, Like the shape of the sweet. Takes patience to make these but for the taste it is well worth the time I guess.

Kamini said...

It's nice that there are still people preparing traditional dishes at home. When I was a child, all sweets and snacks were made at home (mostly single-handedly by my grandmother), but today everything is store-bought, which is just not the same.
Never heard of these sweets, but they look easy enough to make, and yummy too.

Mishmash ! said...

wow...such a unique crunchy snack! though the dough is a basic one , i liked how you have dressed it up...i mean the shape and look....like such posts! :)

Hope you had fun during festival time...my belated wishes

Divya Vikram said...

Lovely shape Valli..Great work..

Sharmila said...

We call it Elo-Jhelo ... my ma makes them.Thanks for reminding me of them. :-)

AnuSriram said...

That looks wonderful... never had seen this type of sweet before. Drooling!

Vidhya said...

love to see all those traditional recipes. This is very very new to me. Really mouthwatering.

aparna said...

Looks really yummy and delicious.

meeso said...

Wow, never seen or tasted these before, sounds yummy!

Priya said...

Wow, panasa thonalu are cute n looks fabulous...i had once this sweet at my friend's home, i dont know how to fold them as shell like..thanks for sharing...

Shillu said...

They look so beautiful!! perfect! happy Diwali

Shreya said...

hi, I have never heard of these sweets. Lovely they look, and such a simple preparation. Looks like you all had great fun for Deepavali, may life be fun-filled throughout the year:-)

Cham said...

I ve seen this sweet but never knew the name :( U guys had a blast!

jayasree said...

Hearing the sweet for the first time. Their shapes are indeed tempting..I think you need some practice to get them right. Lovely.

Raaga said...

your enthu levels are enviable :-) great work :-)

veena said...

hi srivalli...

The sweet looks so nice ...Nice presentation ...i used to make this sweet in the shape of diamond..!!Keep up the good work ..
take care
love
veena

vidhas said...

Lovely traditional recipes. For making this shape we need lots of patientce :-) Will surely try

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! said...

hi Sri..long long time..I had once sent a reply to ur email...not sure if u had received it..how u doing friend?

happy Deepavali

SMN said...

Valli lovely shapes for that sweet hope u had ablast

Sia said...

i have this recipe in my archives valli. urs look perfect. belated diwali wishes dear. sorry was caught up with tonns of work :)

Zee said...

Delicious sweets with an interesting shape..looks good...hope you had a joyous Diwali:)

Kalai said...

This is totally new to me, Valli. I love the shape! Simply beautiful. :)

arundati said...

this used to be a favourite of ours...made at christmas...almost forgotten till this post!! i hope you had a wonderful diwali!

Sheetal said...

My mom calls it "Chaphekali" - meaning "like a bud of flower Champa/Champangi (in Telugu)". They do look like the buds of Champa, don't they?

Aparna said...

Very belated Diwali grettings.
Of course, I love these, Srivalli.
How could anyone one resist these sweets?
Thanks for joining me in celebrating.

Jaya said...

Sri,
these looks so delicious.We call it Farfol Gaja in bengali LOL..
It reminds me of our childhood days.
Belated Diwali wishes.
hugs and smiles

Pearlsofeast said...

awesome and really good work Srivalli.

Namratha said...

I've been waiting to make these since long Sri, I simply love these! Good illustrations.Hope you had a fun Diwali!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...