Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thota Aaku Mamidikaya Uragaya ~ Pickle with Mango and Amarnath Leaves!

If you are somebody like me, who hesitates to take in greens, then this recipe for sure will convert you! This is the first time I am ever making a pickle out of it and the credit all goes to Athamma. After her visit from her daughter's place, she got back some Aara Keerai or Thota Aaku. I know Aara Keerai may not be referred as Thota Aaku. Amma was giving a different name for this.

Anyway recently Amma had got raw Mango and its been lying around in the fridge for so long! On her return, Athamma was really shocked that I hadn't attended to that lone Mango. I said I didn't find time to even glance at it and hoped every much that it would remain raw! Yep, it was still raw, the shelf life of raw mango to remain raw is app 10 days! Ha Ha, Dad will give me a field day, if he happens to read this. Dad always teases us that we are always checking out the shelf life of all ingredients that go into the fridge!



So I was happy that I could finally get to make that Mango into something. But this turned out to be simply too good! I still can't believe myself that it tasted so yummy.

This is another Andhra Special coming your way!

Ingredients Needed

Mango - 1 cup grated
Ara keerai / Thota aaku - 1 cup (washed and dried and chopped finely)
Methi seeds /Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp seeds roasted and ground fine
Chillie powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Seasoning
Red chillies - 2-3
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp


Method to prepare:

Wash the Greens couple of times. Chopped them finely into very small pieces. Then dry them in shade, till they are all dry.

When you are ready to make the pickle, grate the mango and keep aside.

Roast the Methi seeds and powder them fine.

Then heat a pan with oil. Temper with Mustard seeds, the add the Red chillies. Fry well.

Add on the chopped greens. When they are nicely fried and mixed well, add the grated mango. Fry in sim for 2-3 mins. Then add the fenugreek powder and chilli powder and salt. Fry till oil comes out.

Since this is a pickle, you need to be little liberal with Oil.

This stays good for 3-4 days in room temperature. And for a week when stored in fridge.

This week's Weekend Herb Blogging is back on home ground. So sending this to Kalyn's Kitchen!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


28 comments :

lakshmi said...

i am salivating here!!! why did we miss this valli? :(

Raaga said...

no arakeerai molakeerai etc in Delhi... just palak and methi

Nags said...

me too salivating :( homemade pickle is a luxury for me now. dont have any at the moment and too lazy to make :(

Jayashree said...

Keerai pickle??? Never heard of it before....sounds good.

Arundathi said...

oh man - that looks so so good!!! i cant believe we didn't get it! :(

kamala said...

Drooling over Ara keerai Valli..My hubby is the great lover of arakeerai..Missing all keerais here..I love all pickles as it is

ranji said...

oh man this pickle is so damn tempting...send some to ppl over in USA too ;)....i love mango pickle or any pickle ...lovely post sri!!

sra said...

Hello Mela Queen! {Giggle} Nice recipe.

Kalyn said...

Very interesting. I would love to taste it. Are the greens called Amaranth in English?

JZ @ Tasty treats said...

oh woow!! I am a biiiig fan of pickles and anything mango! and when those two come together, its fantastic! that sure is mouth-watering Sri!

Rajitha said...

Srivalli...if i ever come to Chennai..i will invite myself to your home and all u gotta make for me are chutney's and pickles...u are killing me here

Asha said...

That looks really good Sri. I have frozen raw mango! Yuck!, I know! :D But I will try this in july!:)

Cham said...

Keerai pickle sounds good with raw mango :) should be wonderful with hot rice

Happy cook said...

Yummy drooly delicious.
Never had a pickle like this. But it looks so delicious

Suma Rajesh said...

am the fan of pickle and nothing to say if its mango one...just luved this to have as it is....

Divya Vikram said...

mouthwatering pickle..Doesnt look like greens at all.

swapna said...

Thota aaku and mango pickle simply love it....I just wanted to eat it right now for the bowl....

Sireesha said...

I love all pickles and if it is mango then what to say....Thota aaku and mango picle simply superb.....I am becoming greedy just wanted to eat it right now....

Swati: Sugarcraft India said...

Hi Srivalli...I must admit that even this late at nite I dont mind having another paratha with this pickle... It looks yum!!
What would the leaf be called in the Northern part of our country?

Aparna said...

Arakeerai and in a mangopickle? Most unusual recipe, Srivalli.
I miss arakeerai in Goa.:( Can I substitute ordinary keerai in this pickle?

Sujatha said...

I am already drooling at your picture! Arakeerai and Mango is such a unique combination... Sounds good!

Shri said...

healthy and yummy pickle.nice recipe

Kalai said...

Pickle with keerai looks too good, Valli!! Love the addition of raw mango, too. Can you send some here?? :)

meeso said...

Wish I could have a taste, it looks so good!

indosungod said...

Valli Amaranth leaves and mango made it into a pickle. What a delicious idea. I am thinking if I can try it with some manathakkali keerat!

Cynthia said...

This sounds very interesting. I like the colour of the finished pickle.

Sig said...

slurrrrp... I have never had mango with leaves, but this looks delicious Srivalli!!!!!!

skribles said...

this one is new to me srivalli ... mango and keerai pickle :) ... looks yummy ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...