Thengai Sevai ~ Coconut Rice Noodles!

I was seriously wondering what to prepare with coconut. We mostly use coconut for korma. But we also make Coconut Milk Rice, Thengai Sadam and some sweets like Coconut Poli, Kozhkattai etc. Of course, we always have the quintessential Coconut Chutney and the Kobari Mudda always ready at hand. I wanted to make something exclusively for the AFAM, hosted by my dear friend Suganya. So that Coconut Puri was something bonus, I should say.

While I was still breaking my head wondering what could that special dish that always excites my taste buds, when I suddenly remembered the Coconut Sevai. I love Sevai, especially I have eaten Sevai made with Lemon and Coconut. But I always loved the coconut wala much better than the lemon one. Remember I made the Mango Sevai, yep I still had a packet of Sevai. Infact since I planned something else for hubby dear, I made half of it and had all the coconut sevai to enjoy myself. I still have a packet of Sevai on hand. One never knows what one is going to come out with.

Fixing a Coconut Sevai is very fast. If you have all the things ready on hand, all you have to do is to assemble them in a hot sizzling pan and you have your Sevai nicely flavoured with Coconut. There is nothing like working out a quick meal. I mostly have grated coconut readily stored. So this took about 10 mins to get done.

Ingredients Needed:

Rice Sevai - 1/2 cup
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Mustard Seeds + Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram dal - 1 tsp
Cashew Nuts - 5 whole.
Green Chillies - 2 -3 no
Curry leaves - abt 6 leaves.
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Method to prepare:

Cook Sevai in about 3 times of water. Once its well cooked, drain them in a colander. This takes about 5 mins

Heat a pan with oil. Temper with Mustard and Urad dal. Then add the slit chillies, curry leaves. Add salt and mix well. Then add the grated coconut and fry for another 2 mins. Then add the cooked Sevai.

Simmer for 2 mins and let it get mixed well.

Your delicious Coconut Sevai is well ready within minutes.

My plate of coconut sevai is on its way to Suganya who is hosting AFAM themed on Coconut. Since this is such a quick breakfast to fix, sending it to Raaga, who is hosting WBB, Express Breakfast.

Labels: , ,