Ragi Idlis ~ Idli with Finger Millet!

Konda started her school today! I feel I still remember my 3rd grade and am really surprised my daughter is already there! Huffing and puffing, I bound all her first term books finally last night. It was quite late when I completed. I forced her to sleep and she was very worried if I will complete it or not. I assured that I will not sleep until I complete everything. And thankfully I was able too. She was up very early in her standards and got ready all by herself. I felt proud that my little one is all grown up now. She got dressed all by herself and had her breakfast. Which is very surprising. When she was all ready, I clicked my customary click on her first day of school. All with crispy new dress, with black shining shoes. It was one lovely picture. She was looking all so eager to meet her friends again. Hopefully she will have good company this year too. And hopefully this eagerness will continue!

Hubby dear dropped all three of them before leaving for his office, while I left for office straight. It sounds so strange all of a sudden. Life was so peaceful just a week back and now all of us are running around crazy cooking, packing and getting ready. I somehow remember that Home Alone scene! Settling down might take some time but I guess I can wait. In all this, I don't fail to remember my own school days and wonder how well Amma managed everything. I think all of us will take our own time to come in terms with the way life leads us on. But no complains absolutely, living with two people who have their nose into optimism, I can't fail to get it rubbed off me! Any word of complain, and Dad or Hubby dear will immediately come out with a line, 'Think of the possibilities, think what good can happen'. Well I do hope as my dear Lak said, my twins will go and conquer the Play school!

Since today is first day, I thought Idli would be easy to take in. So it was Idli with Groundnut chutney for Konda. I was happy to note that she finished it without complaining. I remembered the other idlis that gets done. Amma used to make quite a few varieties in Idlis too. Masala Idlis, Vegetable idli, Rava Idli, Spiced Idlis. The list was a big one. So thinking of that this Ragi Idli that we made was a good change. Infact, Konda saw that and was interested to eat it and she liked. So another version of Idli for us to include.

Raagi Idlis!

Ingredients Needed:

Rice flour - 1 cup
Raagi Pindi / Millet flour - 3 tbsp
Corn Flour - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking soda - 1/2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Mix the Rice flour, Millet flour and Corn flour with salt. Slowly add water and mix to form a lump free batter. Add the cooking soda.

Grease the Idli moulds as usual and fill each one as you do regularly. Steam cook for 10 - 15 mins.

It was little hard because we included corn flour. We still have the flour we ground from the corns that we got sometime back. So we are including it in any dish we can. I think without that it will be quite soft.

The batter can be poured in to the Idli molds immediately or you can allow it to rest for 5- 10 mins.

Also you can mix the raagi flour to the Idli batter if you have on hand.

Once steamed, let it cool before removing. Serve with Sambar!

My Ragi Idli is on its way to the Singing Chef, who does not want to spend more than 15 mins in Kitchen cooking breakfast! Weekend Breakfast Blogging is an event started by the lovely doctor, Nandita.

Labels: , ,