Brinjal n Potato in Mutton ~ Weekend Cooking!

We go through some pretty discussions on what to make for the weekend lunch. The past few days saw me with nothing new to post about. I ended up with already cooked gravies or Rice varieties.I was awfully upset over this and was telling hubby dear about this. He suggested that I spend my weekend cooking up something new, so that I don't ask him what to cook nor what to post for next few days.

As I mentioned, for the Recipe Marathon, since I used up all my drafts, I had to cook something new everyday before I could post it. But it was great doing it. The trill of cooking something new and then clicking it and then talking about it along with some something else to remember later. There is something very nice to the whole thing. So hubby dear suggested, I plan for some new non-veg for the weekend lunch.I said I think I posted all the varieties that I know to cook with Mutton, he said there is one with Gongura and then one with brinjal and potatoes that they cook the Mutton with. Yeah I remember the famous Andhra Mutton with Gongura. Since gongura was not available on hand, decided to use Brinjal and Potatoes. Hubby dear enjoyed his lunch greatly!


We took the twins to the play school today. All of them stayed back, while I left for office. They didn't cry much because Athamma and Konda were with them, while hubby dear stayed out. We will know the difference tomorrow. Few other kids were on their first day and they were crying their heart out. I was so moved seeing them cry, but what to do. Life has to be dealt! Hopefully they should get settled soon, including my little ones. Peddu, I heard, was consoling the kids who were crying. He was going on wiping their tears. Guess he was too sure of his state as Athamma was around. Tomorrow might show us how they will fare. But then of course, since they have each other around, they shouldn't be feeling left out, or atleast I hope they adjust soon.

Brinjal n Potato in Mutton Gravy

Mutton - 250 gms
Brinjal - 2 medium
Potatoes -1 medium
Onions - 1 medium
Tomatoes - 2 small
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cinnamon + Cardamom + cloves - 3/4 tsp
Coconut Paste - 2 tsp
Poppy seeds paste - 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Roasted Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Clean and cut mutton to small pieces. Chop Brinjal to 4 quarters, same as Potatoes. Soak these in water so that they turn brown.

Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Sauté the onions till pink , then add the ginger garlic paste. Sauté till this turns brown. Then add the finely chopped tomatoes along with the meat.Cook on heat flame for 5 mins, stirring in between so that it doesn't get burnt.

Add the chili powder, coriander powder, poppy seeds, spice powder and salt.. And continue cooking on high. Then coconut paste and 1 glass of water. Cook till its blended well. Cover it with the cooker lid and put it for 3-4 whistles or till the mutton is almost well cooked.

Once the pressure is off, add the brinjal and potato pieces. Put it for 1 whistle. The vegetables get cooked by 1 whistle. If its over cooked, it tends to get mashed with the gravy, so its good to cook it for just the right time.

Remove the lid and let it cooked on high flame again so that the gravy is thick. Garnish with coriander leaves.

The change in this from the regular Mutton gravy, is the use of roasted coriander powder and the spice powders. The use of freshly ground spices adds lot of flavour to the meat, including the vegetables.

This variety of cooking meat with vegetables is quite a common one in rural parts of Andhra.

Have a great week ahead!

Labels: , , ,