Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sadda Garallu ~ Pearl Millet Jaggary pancake!

International Food League is another of the ideas from the famous duo, Dhivya and Siri! Left to themselves, they can come up with some of the most craziest things on earth. But I do have to say, I willing fall into whatever plans they have! Their enthusiasm and spirit is hard not to rub on you. And most of times, I am nodding my head even before I could understand what it is. IFL is one such thing. It was one of those days, when I dare to log in while the twins were loitering around. I just couldn't keep away from checking on the blog. My luck, just when Siri pinged me, my twins started pulling me around and I just couldn't even type a letter. Poor girl was telling me all excited about the new thing they thought and there I was, helpless as I saw the mouse and keyboard flying in different directions. Finally I had to log off hurriedly after muttering something to her.

Only the next morning I understood what Siri was saying and I immediately logged in to Dining Hall and checked the post. It sounded so much fun. Do read more about the game and rules here!

I pinged in a private message to Siri and got this puzzle!

I am old and ancient and in many places a staple
health and longevity are wonders I wear like a lapel

My different forms give different taste
one form is enjoyed in the mornings - eaten in haste!
Another form is in form of soups and porridge
Or in forms of plain or stuffed breads

I thrive in the hot summers..But make you feel good and warm
I am good to people although many just use me for feeding birds and cattle in farms
I am just no mean and lowly grass with striking resemblance to maize
I have 'pearls' of wisdom to share if you want, to listen to me with grace

People with celiac turn to me
I give you fiber and irons, so rich i am for the world to see
Now sit tight and give it a hard thought - be clever be sane
to guess who I am, the highly nutritious and healthful whole grain.

I was so sure of the answer yet I sent it as Wheat to Siri. And she gave another clue. I was banging my head for being an idiot! It was Millet. Siri was referring to Bajra or Sadda as we say in Telugu. I said I have Ragi, which is called Finger Millet.

Both Bajra and Ragi are quite common at home. So I went along with Bajra to go Siri's thoughts. Bajra is known as Sadda or Sajja in Telugu.

With Sajja Pindi or Bajra flour, we make different dishes like garralu, Rotti and Dosa. I made all the three for the IFl! Each one was really enjoyed with much relish.

Sadda Garallu ~ Pearl Millet Jaggary pancake.

Ingredients Needed;

Sajja Pindi - 2 cups
Jaggary - 1 cup
Cardamom - 3/4 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Poppy Seeds - 2 tsp
Oil for cooking the pancakes



Method to prepare:

Soak the jaggary for half hour for it to get soft. Melt it in about 1 cup water over heat to get a jaggary liquid. This should not be cooked beyond the point the jaggary gets dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool. Strain it if you find any scum is found in the jaggary. Then add the cardamom and let it just get heated up so that the cardamom leaves its aroma.

In a bowl, take the Sadda pindi, add 1 tbsp of grated coconut to the flour. Mix well. Then slowly add the jaggary water and gather to form a dough. The consistency of the dough should be such that, when you make balls and pat it down, it should get rolled out and should not break on the edges.

For rolling out, you can use plastic bags, wet cloth or banana leaf. Divide into equal balls. and gently pat it down to form a 5 to 6 inch circles. Press the poppy seeds and the remaining grated coconut over it, so that its sticks.

Heat a tawa, spread oil and gently remove the patted pancake over it and cook on both sides. These can be deep fried, but we prefer them shallow fried garallu.

Everything got to be cooked on medium heat as else it might turn little bitter.



This is my International Food League entry and I am also sending this to dear EC, who is hosting the Think Spice, Think Cardamom event, an event started by Sunita.

I have been thinking for long about a cardamom dish but we mostly add them as flavoring spice in most of our sweet dishes. And this garralu tastes yummy with cardamom aroma teasing us to core!

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


19 comments :

vandana rajesh said...

Srivalli ...nice blog ..have something for u on my blog..do have a look.Also have forwarded my entry for ur steamed dishes event.

kamala said...

Never made this valli...New to me.Like ur enthu always

satya said...

Awesome Srivalli..! thanks for bringing out the rustic beauties one after other...and introducing different terms too...sajjalu I know...But sadda is a new word....recipe seems like shallow fried arisalu..do they taste similar?

Siri said...

Yo Yo!, Lovely looking garelu Valli and great post..Thanks for all the kind words..;)

Siri

Sunshinemom said...

Again a good recipe I never knew! So nutritious too, good:)

Arundathi said...

you made all three? :) this pancake looks really good!!

Cham said...

He he Valli, i got the same riddle but got it right. Never made this pancake sound healthy and sweet too :)

Hetal said...

These pancakes are very new to me but they are so nutritious,gr8 work!!

Uma said...

they are so good, srivalli! never heard of them even being an andhrite! Kudos to your recipes.

Kalai said...

Delicious use of millet, Valli! Yummy entry for both events! :)

bhags said...

Seems ur twins really give u a hard time....this is a nice recipe and an addition to my source...thanks

Sandeepa said...

Millet as in Raagi or what ?

Madhuram said...

I have also made this one earlier. But this is a little bit similar to the dish I'm going to post using ragi. Yes, millet is my ingredient too.

Arundathi said...

valli - dont forget to post the link back in the IFL forum to complete the loop ;)

Kamini said...

Never had this before - will certainly give it a try.

Divya Vikram said...

The IFL is fun..Nice riddle..And u have made so many dishes with the ingredient..U rock Valli

Shri said...

Mouth watering dish.Sure will give it a try.

easycrafts said...

Thanks for participating

Srivalli said...

Thank you everybody for your lovely comments. I am really sorry that I couldn't acknowledge each of you! But I really appreciate you taking time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...