Quick Mexican Rice with Tomatoes and Green Pepper!

Well I have had this book over a decade, its the recipe book that came along with Nippo Electeric cooker. Amma has been using this cooker for a long time and most recipes in that book are tried and tested. It comes with beautiful pictures and very simple recipes. We must've tried most of them of course. But there was this recipe which is called Mexican Rice. It looks very colourful with green peppers and tomato slices all over it. Every time I open the book, this one keeps calling. Not sure if this feeling is common among foodies, but when I flip through a cookbook, I immediately have a feeling that certain recipes call out to me. Yeah I know it sounds funny, but thats the way it is.

I have indulged in them based on such calling and most have turned out to be delicious. Yet somehow this Mexican Rice is something I never turned too. Maybe I was scared that I might turn out with something thats not to our taste. As a cuisine, I am only familiar with the Mexican enchiladas. I used to make these during college. And everybody used to love it at home. Now don't ask me if it was the authentic recipe. What do you expect a south Indian to do. Make everything little spicy to suit our palate. Of course, I tried hard to keep it quite original. But who knew what was authentic on that. I had the recipe to vouch for its originality!

Well coming back to this Mexican Rice, as I said it has been calling me for quite sometime now. And when Divi said she is AWED and this time by Mexican. I thought, oh man, me too. Thats reason I didn't' even venture to think what I might want to try. But then as days slowly passed and I saw many were dishing out Mexican this and Mexican that, I realized I too can attempt at swirling it! So this is the result of my attempt. Got up with a courageous mind frame to tackle whatever is going to come up and proceeded without much thought. I didn't have the tools to dish out enchiladas, so it was going to be Mexican Rice for sure. So what if there are too many Mexican Rice already, mine will join them in the party!


When I saw the ingredient list, I was surprised. Does it take just these few things to churn out that delicious looking dish, I thought! Well, the lesser the more simpler to complete the cooking and with that thought, went ahead making it.

Ingredients Needed:

Serves - 2

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Garlic - 2 pods
Onion - 1 medium
Chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Water - 1 & 1/2 cup

Garnishing

Bell pepper / Capsicum - 1/2
Tomato - 1 medium
Oil - 1/2 tsp


Method to prepare:

Wash and soak rice for 15 - 30 mins. Meanwhile, finely chop galic, onion as juliennes, Tomato & bell pepper as thin slice.

Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Saute garlic till they smell, then add onions. Fry till they are little brown but not fully.

Add chili powder and salt. Fry for two mins. Then drain and add the rice to the pan. Fry for 2 mins. Add the water and let it come to boil. Then simmer for 15 mins.

Meanwhile, heat another pan with 1/2 tsp oil, Saute the peppers till they are cooked but not brown. Just before switching off, add the tomato slices. And remove. Make sure the tomato are not mushy.

Once the rice is done, gently mix in the capsicum and tomato slices. This took just about 15 mins to get ready for you. So another quick rice variety on the way!

Ehmm...I was surprised at the lovely taste. This can be served on its own, but I served it with curds. It was a great combination. The rice was little spicy but it didn't taste as if it had just chilli and garlic in it.

I hope Dhivi won't mind another Mexican Rice from me for her exciting event A.W.E.D

Labels: , ,