Onion Chapati ~ for Roti Mela!

I was seen hoofing last evening! Well rather mentally I must confess. For finally hubby dear took the camera for a check up and found himself in the most embarrassing situation. The camera was all hale and healthy and the service man was giving looks that asked if the heat has affected us! Hubby dear called me from the shop and told me this news and I was mentally jumping up with joy! He said I can now cook how many ever dishes I want in the night, so I have two new dishes ready! I have a chicken dish and a chapati! I will reserve the chicken for later and proceed with my favorite chapati variety.

I am sure this must be a common dish at many homes, but this is my favorite one and I can't miss this out from my Roti Mela. Amma used to make this for me whenever she makes non-veg for others. We call it Onion Chapati as its mixed with onions and spices and roll out as chapatis and cooked. How wonderful! Infact, I used to look forward to those days when it was non-veg for dinner, as I would get to have my lovely Onion Chapatis. Dad and hubby dear would feel bad that I won't have anything interesting for dinner, but I always tell them that, nothing can beat this chapati in its taste and my love for it.

The aroma that comes out while you roast the onions and chapati in oil, you got to experience to know what I am talking about. The many dinners when I have longingly sat for a feast with Onion Chapatis, my folks would wonder what's so special about it. Infact as Amma used to make these only for me, she would want to know why I used to like it so much. But it was a real treat when, one day she happen to eat this and got hooked to it. So after that, whenever she made these for me, she used to make it for herself too. I always wonder how small and simple dishes like these, kindle so much of our childhood memories and I long for those days back!

Still I find it strange that I don't find myself preparing my childhood favorites so often. And those times I do, I get elated when Konda likes them too. I know I got to give her such special memories for her to remember on. Yet it becomes special when our kids love the same things we liked as kids. So I was happy to remember that taste again, as I was cooking this after a long time. Last night when it was chicken masti at home, I remembered this chapati and made for myself. And hubby dear remembered that Rhim gim song and played it for me! What else can I ask for, I felt so many memories washing by me!

Ingredients Needed

Wheat Four/ Atta - 1 cup
Onions - 1 medium
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp (opt)
Turmeric powder a pinch (opt)
Butter / Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp for cooking
Water to make the dough

Makes about 3 chapatis

Method to prepare:

Chop Onions as juliennes. Coriander very finely. In a big bowl, take the wheat flour. Mix the salt and ghee. Rub well.

Then add the chopped onions along with the spices. Mix well so that the onions are coated with flour. Then slowly add the water to the flour. Gather them together and make a soft, pliable dough.

If you want, you can let this rest for 10 mins, else roll them out immediately.

Heat a tawa and once its hot, place these rolled out chapatis and cook on both sides applying oil. Takes about 1-2 mins for it to be cooked.

Serve this with pickle and curds, the best combo I have ever taste.

But this capsicum fry was also simply too good. It was just fried in oil along with onions and then finally topped with groundnut powder. Tastes great.

Simple way of making chapatis can be found here.

These onion chapatis are on its way to Sarah, who is hosting an event called Tastes To Remember! how wonderful! I have almost most of my dishes reminding me of my childhood days!


Well we are going steady into the 6th day of the marathon.

Siri comes with a love smitten Tomato Coconut chutney!
And Anu is going to hide while eating a Raspberry and Blueberry Muffin!
Lak has come out with a Kashayam
Raaga has dished out some Vegetable Focaccia.
When we find we need to do some poriyal, we think of this and yeah Divya has done the same - Cauliflower-Peas poriyal
And Ranji is out with a Jhovan
While you are at it, pls be sure to check out Divi's colourful chips!
Not to be left out, swati has made it a point to dish out a Coriander Mint Chutney!
And you think Bhags can be far away, nay check out her Baked Chapati

Labels: , , , ,