Mango Sevai ~ Rice Noodles with Raw Mango!

Raw Mango or Ripe one? I was always plagued by this question and never could decide if I liked the raw one better or the ripe. I guess I just got to conclude that I love both the best! Come summer and every street you pass by, will be flooded with colour of yellow and orange of mangoes all over the place. Not to mention the bright green raw mangoes. My most favorite one in the raw mango is, of course the variety that we call as kili muku manga. Its not very sour but mild enough to be eaten as such. Its also the variety that's so very popular in the beach sides.

When Arundati announced the theme to be Mango for the WBB, I was really confused wondering what I can make for a brunch. Dishes with raw mangoes have always been chutneys, Mango Rice at home. Ripe ones have always been Ice cream, Milkshakes or Lassi. All these were not suitable for a brunch. I was still thinking on these terms when the thought struck that I could do a Mango Sevai as in a Lime Sevai or Coconut Sevai. Thinking about it, I was surprised why it took me so much time to think of this variety.

After finally deciding on the dish I was going to prepare, getting it actually done was another task. For sevai is not something we use often. Sevai is the dried Rice Noodles that's so much relished and cherished in Tamil Nadu. Very interesting varieties are prepared with this and enjoyed. If you have time and energy you can very well make these at home or else, enjoy the luxury of ready to cook sevais.

I planned for a Saturday brunch, then for a Sunday. Nothing worked out as planned. Finally the poor mango that was to be used, was not raw anymore. To cut the long story short, I was able to finally get this done today!

When you are in a hurry for a quick breakfast fix, this will work out fine. Or you want to enjoy your weekend mornings, this is perfectly fine. I just spent some 10 - 15 mins time getting this done. I loved the difference in the pictures, one is taken indoors and the other, out in direct sun.

Ingredients Needed:

Rice Sevai - 2 cups (200 gms)
Water - 6 cups

Seasonings

Raw Mango, grated - 3/4 cup
Mustard + Urad dal - 1 tsp
Bengal Gram - 2 tsp
Cashew Nuts - 5 whole
Green Chillies - 2 finely chopped
Curry leaves few
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Boil the water in a pan and when it starts boiling add the sevai. Simmer for 2 mins. It gets cooked fast so keep stirring and let it not get over cooked.

Drain it over a sieve and keep it aside. Grate the mango and keep it aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard and urad dal. When it splutters, add the bengal gram, cashew nuts. Then add the curry leaves and green chillies. Add the turmeric powder. Sauté well. Then stir in the grated mango and fry well for 1 min in sim.

When you find that mango is kind of cooked well, add in the cooked sevai and mix well. Sim for 5 mins. And its done!

My plate of Mango Sevai is off to dear Arundati who is hosting this month's WBB, an event started by the lovely doctor!

*********************************

I would also like to thank my dear blogger friends who were sweet enough to think of me and passed me some awards. Thank you Gaurav, Kamala, Uma, Priya, Siri, Vandana, Ranji. I really appreciate your kindness and your support! If I have failed to mention some name, please accept my apologies. My thanks to you too!

On our day 12 of running the Recipe Marathon we have :

Anu as usual is leading the crowd with a beautiful scoop of Rice
Followed by Siri who is carrying another bowl of Rice now with Dondakaya!
Lakshmi has come out with a Varuthu araitha kootu
Ranji with a yummy Puttu and kadala
Swati has dished out some real yummy looking Paneer Jalfrezi
Divya has come out with Tomatillo Salsa

Lets see what the others bring along!

Labels: , , , ,