Lunch Box Series : LBS#34

Today I had great difficult thinking of what I am going to write. It happens at times that I am lost to think of anything. This blog has now come to mean my way of recording small details in my everyday life and I am most happy sharing it with my readers. It gives such good feeling in sharing certain experiences and titbits. Like the books binding yesterday! Hubby dear was telling me that I seem to have triggered so many memories in people with that talk about binding books! This reminds me that Konda again was disappointed getting up this morning, to see her books still not bound. I told her that I will do it by Sunday.

Thinking about the twins, they are utterly bored at home. So we are planning to put them in play school to spend some hours. Thinking about the prospect of leaving them away at a strange place, makes me want to cry. But I guess they will also be ready for school in couple of years. I can still remember the interview we had for Konda's lower KG. Both of us were really panicky, wondering what they were going to ask her and how she was going to respond. They showed her some wild animals and asked where they live. She replied wild Sanctuary. The teachers were taken aback. She was 3 years then. We didn't know who taught her that. But anyway the questions that followed, were much simpler and thankfully the interview got over fast. I am now dreading the interview we might have to attend for the twins!

I am back to thinking hard on the lunch box series, now that Konda's school is reopening. For today's box, its going to Dal with greens and a side dish.We normally make it a point to prepare dal with greens atleast twice a week.And this variety of green is what we call the Seru keerai or one type of Amarnath.

Today's Lunch Box had

Seru akku Pappu ~ Seru Keerai parrupu
Beetroot Stir Fry
Curd Rice

Serukeera Pappu ~ Dal with Amarnath leaves

Ingredients Needed:

Seru Keerai - 1 bunch
Tur Dal - 75 gms
Red chillies - 5 - 6
Tamarind - a small piece
Onion - 1 small one
Garlic - 2 - 3 pods
Tomato - 2 medium
Mustard Seeds + Urud Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Method to prepare:

Clean and wash the greens well in running water. Let it drain off the water. Chop it roughly

Clean the dal and keep aside. Chop the onions, tomatoes.

Heat the pressure cooker, add oil, then add the mustard, urad dal. .

Once the mustard splutter, add Onions, Curry leaves, Garlic and Red Chillies. Fry till onions are brown, then add the chopped greens. Fry till the raw smell leaves.

Add tur dal and fry well. Then add chopped tomatoes, Tamarind. Add required water. Pressure cook it for 2 - 3 whistles.

Remove the lid, drain the excess water. and mash it with dal masher. You will not be able to mash well if the water is still in the dal. Add salt and add back the water. Cook on high flame for few mins, till you see the dal getting thicker. Remove!

Dal is ready.


Will update the news from my Marathon runners soon!

Labels: , , , ,