Friday, April 11, 2008

Chow Chow Kootu Recipe (with Chana Dal), Vazhai Thandu (Banana Stem) Poriyal Recipe ~ Lunch Box Series : LBS#31

When I checked my Lunch Box Recipes, I felt bad that I haven't posted anything for on the Lunch Box Recipe series for sometime. So I am not going to post on dosas today, even though I have another 4 more to go. I thought it might become boring to see only dosas in one shot. Also I wanted to have an entry for Weekend Herb Blogging. How can I miss it, especially when its hosted by our dear jungalbandits..oops jungalbandi couple, I mean. By the way, their new name was christened by Kaykat and not me ok. So if you want to credit, you know whom to credit for that originality.

Now coming to the post for today's Lunch box, since we started including Plantain Stem in our diet, we have tried using it in different ways. The pith inside the Banana shoot, is the edible part. Plantain Stem is called Arti Danttu in Telugu and Vazhai thandu in Tamil. This edible part is very much recommended because of its medicinal value and it is supposed to help us in many ways. This is so good that it can be consumed as a juice but if it's not possible, can be consumed as a stir fry. This helps in cases like

Obesity
Urinary stones
Ulcers
Burning sensation
Acidity
Diabetes
Bleeding disorders
Menorrhagia

Its properties:can be listed as

Bitter & astringent in taste
Is a natural diuretic
Cold in potency
Reduces cholesterol
Its astringent quality helps in blood coagulation
Is an alkalizer
- source Google

The above information researched from websites, though our doctor ascertained on most things.

So with so much goodness packed in this simple plant, it makes sense to consume it more frequently. You may not like it the first time as it might taste a bit bland, but with due course and little added flavor, you will get to love it. The banana stem can be cooked or consumed in various ways such as Stir fry with very minimum oil, Kootu, and as juice.

Today's Lunch Box had

Chow Chow Kootu with Channa Dal
Plain Rice
Arti Danttu Vepudu ~ Plantain Stem Stir fry in moong dal.
Pepper Cumin Rasam
Curd Rice


Arti Danttu Vepudu ~ Plantain Stem Stir fry in moong dal.

Ingredients Needed:

Plantain’s pith of the stem – 100 gm
Buttermilk – 50 ml
Salt to taste

For seasoning
Yellow Moong dal - 50 gms
Red Chillies or Green Chillies - 3
Curry leaves few
Mustard seeds + Urad dal - 1/4 tsp


Method to prepare:

Remove the outer cover and take only the inner pith. Only this is edible. Cut into small pieces. Since it will have lot of fiber, you need to take care to remove them all. Store this in buttermilk for 10 mins, This will prevent it from becoming dark.

Pressure cook this stem to soft. Meanwhile, par boil the moong dal. Keep aside.

Then heat a pan with little oil. Add the seasoning items. Once done, add the cooked dal and stem. Fry well. Adjust the salt. And sim for 10 mins.

The dal and stem will be well cooked by then.

Sending my Plantain Stem Stir Fry to Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by Bee and Jai at Jungalbandi, an event started by Kalyn.

Thank you for hosting this wonderful event!

Chow Chow Kootu in Channa Dal

Kootu is something that we do on the day we make Idli and Sambar. Since tur dal is already used for the breakfast, we avoid using it again for lunch. So using Channa dal for kootu makes it perfect.

Ingredients Needed

Chow Chow - 1 (chopped square pieces)
Channa Dhal - 1/2 cup
Onions - 1 small
Tomatoes - 1 small
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Salt to taste
Grated coconut - 1 tsp

For Seasoning

Mustard seeds + Split urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few


Method:

Take a pressure cooker and cook Channa dal for 3 whistles, then add chopped square chow chow and put for another whistle.

Heat a pan, add the seasonings. Then add the onions, sauté well, then add tomatoes. Add all the powders. Cook for 5 mins. Then add the cooked dal and vegetable, add some water. Let it come to boil. Sim for 10 mins

Finally add grated coconut.

Hope you enjoyed our lunch box, come back tomorrow for dosa varieties!

Between, did you see the new logo for Dosa Mela?. This morning when I opened my mail, I had this waiting for me. Lavi was so sweet to have modified and sent me. Thank you Lavi.

Back to Main Recipe Index

Go to "Spice your Life" Blog Index


Enter your email address:


14 comments :

Kalyn said...

Very interesting. I hadn't heard of eating plantain stem, and didn't know it had so many nutrition benefits either. And this combination sounds delicious too.

kamala said...

Vazhaithandu....I am drooling over ur picture.Here we dont get this.I too make the same way of u

bee said...

thanks for this great entry, dear srivalli.

- the jugalbandits.

shriya said...

Wonderful combos srivalli. I am just drooling over here. your lunch box series really took me to childhood days. Love the chow- chow kootu. My big fav food.

AnuZi said...

cool. I always wondered why konk cuisine uses sooo much plantain stems. Always learning something new. Great share.

ANJALI J. said...

Ahh thats interesting.. pictures look delicious.. thanks for sharing the nutrition benifits..

Vaishali said...

Srivalli, I so miss plantain stems which I don't seem to find at my local Indian grocery store. Both the stir-fry and the kootu look delicious.

Suganya said...

If there is any vegetable I miss here, its vaazha thandu, avarakki and pudalangai. I don't see them here, Sri :(

Anonymous said...

Banana stem, intriguing. Is it available in the stores here? What name is it known by?

Kiran.

Uma said...

my mom used to make curry with plantain stems. I haven't tried to make it myself. I don't think we get that here in USA. Nice ideas for a lunch box Srivalli! Everything looks delicious.

Kalai said...

Wish I could get my hands on plantain stems here! Awesome lunch box! :)

Dee said...

Love plantain stem, we make a dal too with it or soak it in buttermilk and cook.. unfortunately its a rarity where I live

sra said...

Drool!

Arundathi said...

Nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...