Coconut Dosa and Mixed Dal Dosa ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

I was leafing through my book and my eyes fell on a pristine white looking dosa called Coconut Dosa. I was intrigued and rushed ahead to read the proportions. It was with sweet stuffing and I knew there may not be any takers for this sweet type of a pancake at home. Still I was very much keen on attempting it atleast once. Then I moved on to others. Since only dosas are running around my mind off late, I happily forgot all about this Coconut Dosa and its proportions. Though everytime I open my book, that picture calls out pleadingly to me!

Two days back, I was chatting with a dear friend of mine. Priya is a regular reader of this blog and in due course, we happened to chat and we hit on fast. She mentioned that she was happy reading through all the varieties of dosas and said, had she had a blog, she would've surely sent in something. I said she doesn't need a blog for that and can send it to me right away. I am so glad that she did. She shared a recipe for Coconut Dosa and was hesitant as this might be known to all. I said there is nothing like a recipe being known to all. And since this is new to me, it gives me a perfect chance to try it. I said all varieties and variations are appreciated. Along with the dosa recipe, she also sent in a lovely onion chutney recipe. I made coconut dosa yesterday along with the onion chutney, it came out very well. I must say it was really so tasty. This was the first time we were having a chutney in this combination, so it made a good change.

The other dosa for today is the Mixed Dal Dosa. This mixed dal dosa is Athamma's pure innovation. On Sunday, when I was telling her that the next 10 days might see lot of dosas for breakfast, she said she doesn't want those dosas based on rice. She remembered Amma making some dal dosa and said it was so tasty. Since it was 11.30 in the night, I couldn't think it was be nice to call Amma at that time. She wouldn't mind though, but Dad will be after me with a stick. He already says that we both are always on the phone chatting. So having that in mind, I said I will look for more dosa recipes, meanwhile she has the field to play on. She was soaking pesulu for pesarattu, so she took whatever was near her, of course only dal, I mean, and soaked together.


You won't believe, but I know Athamma has just created a new variety! It was too good. I was shocked knowing what all went into this. But best part was, Athamma went on and on, praising this variety. So I know for sure, this is going to feature again on our table. Hubby dear has some certain aversion towards Adai. When I told him that we made another variety, he wanted to know what all went in it. I said all dals. You mean Adai? he asked. I said this is not that. Anyway I couldn't convince him to eat this, if only he knows what he is missing. One day, after all this crazy needs gets cleared, I will make this alone and nothing else, so he has no option but to eat! Yeah that's what I am going to do.

Now lets see how Priya does her Coconut Dosa and how Athamma came about on Mixed Dal Dosa!

Coconut Dosa with Onion chutney
Recipe Source : Priya Arun

Soaking Time : 6-8 hrs
Preparation Time : 5 mins
Cooking Time : 3 mins each
Serves: 4 medium size dosas

Ingredients Needed

Raw Rice - 1 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking

Method to prepare

Clean and soak rice in water for 6-8 hrs. Have the grater coconut ready.

There are two ways to make this batter. Either you can grind the grated coconut along with the soaked rice or you can add this after grinding the rice to a smooth batter.

If you add the grated coconut directly, it will be little difficult to spread it as a dosa. But you get to munch on the coconut.

When its ground along with rice, you get a smooth batter, which is easy to spread as a dosa.

Once the batter is ready, you can immediately make the dosas as this does not require fermentation.

Heat the tawa and smear oil. Pour a ladle full of batter in a circular way and join it to make a even spread pancake.

If the batter is really smooth, it can be spread as a regular dosa too. Sprinkle oil, sim for a while and flip to the other side and cook well.

Serve this with Onion chutney.

Onion Chutney

Ingredients Needed

Red Onions - 2-3 (Sambar Onions - 1 cup) I used the sambar onions
Tamarind - Marble size
Ginger - 2"
Green Chillies - 3-4 (you can use red chillies as per your taste)
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1 tsp ( I didn't add this) Instead I added few curry leaves
Oil - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Heat a pan with little oil and sauté all the ingredients, except tamarind. Fry till onions turn pink. Let it cool.

Meanwhile soak tamarind and once the onion mix is cooled, grind it with tamarind, salt and sugar, if you use to a paste.

Heat some oil and pour the hot oil over the paste. By adding the oil, this chutney stays good for a while.

Serve this with Coconut Dosa.

Thank you Priya for your lovely recipe, we liked it a lot and will surely be making this again.

Mixed Dal Dosa

Now coming to Athamma's innovative dosa, she added whatever was accessible. This is just an idea, you can work out on the dals you want to add and have a ball!

Ingredients Needed

For Batter:

Rice - 2 tbsp
Urad Dal
Toor Dal
Kabuli Channa whole
Horse Gram
Yellow Moong Dal
Moong Dal
Groundnuts
Rajma
Mocha
Black Eye pea
Peas
Black dal/ Sabit urud dal

All the dals added to a 1 & 1/2 cup and it gave us about 5 dosas

For garnish

Finely chopped Onions
Cumin Seeds

Method to prepare:

Ok, that lists about all the dals that are in our pantry! She just added a tsp of all the above and soaked together. Soak overnight the above list and grind everything to a smooth paste.

Heat a tawa, smear with oil. Since the batter was on the thin side, I was able to spread it as a regular dosa. Top it with chopped onions, cumin seeds. And sprinkle oil or ghee.

Once its cooked, flip to the other side and let the onions get browned.

This turned out to be really yummy! Serve it with Coconut chutney!

Just five more days to go for the deadline, do hurry up with your entries! I just landed myself with 4 more new pancake recipes, hope I can cook them on time!

Till then, have a happy Dosa Time!

Labels: , , , , , ,