Curds Dosa or Perugu Minapattu ~ 101 Dosa Varieties!

Having announced a Dosa Mela, it's only fair I attest my freakishness by displaying the wares, so as to say! I know I am foodie, think so and act so in all cases. But since announcing this Mela, there isn't anything else that's going on my mind. I find myself constantly scoring my books for different types and the quest is never ending I find. I thought I will get all my known varieties in place and then look out for new ones. And this is where hubby played spoiled sport. One of the common and most liked one at home is Egg Dosa or Mutta Dosa, that Amma makes and which I have been making too. Since I don't eat egg, I got to make it for hubby. And now he is refusing to eat that, as cooking an egg on heat is going to rob it's protein and we don't want that, right! He wants to have only boiled eggs! If you know of a Dosa with boiled egg, do let me know. Meanwhile, one of these days, I am going to spring the surprise on him and not give him any choice, I guess that will work out fine.

The other type is the Rava Dosa, which is my favorite. Actually when it comes to Dosa, I really can't decide which is most favoured than the other. Having never ventured on making the Rava Dosa batter myself, I am at loss. So the other night, once we get the kiddos to sleep, we discussed what to make for the next day. Athamma said we have been making only dosa with rice for quite sometime at home. So that prompted me to look for a new and my eyes fell on Curds Dosa. Wow this has to be good, as it has Poha and coconut too.

I told her we shall soak rice and poha in curds and make a curds dosa. She asked how about Rava Dosa. She fondly recalled the crispy, thin Rava Dosa that Amma makes. I said I got to ask her for the recipe, which I will do in the morning. We then proceeded to soak the things needed for Curds Dosa. It was quite interesting to note the variations that's called for, in this recipe. We use the Poha or Attukulu in this too, but in a different proportions. I guess its called Curds Dosa, because Curds is used more in proportion. We soaked everything together. Athamma was concerned that the water might not be enough for soaking. I came to know she got up in the middle of the night to check on it and added more water. I guess this craziness is catching on her too!


Then we soaked pesullu for pesarattu today and she reminded me that I got to ask Amma for Rava dosa. So when hubby returned from his gym, he saw me all excited talking to Amma. He asked what got me talking to Amma so early in the morning. I said he will see the results soon. Of course, he would've felt I have gone nuts, disturbing Amma so early, all for a recipe, so I acted all mysterious.Now coming back to the Curds Dosa, it came out so very soft and porous. You got to have patience to cook it on medium and of course, you will be rewarded with the results.

Preparation time : 5 mins
Soaking Time : Overnight
Fermenting Time : 3-4 hrs
Cooking Time : 4-5 mins for each
Serves : 15 medium sized thick ones

Ingredient Needed

Raw Rice - 2 Cups
Poha / Attukulu - 1 cup
Curds / Yogurt - 1 & 1/2 cups
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 seeds
Salt to taste
Water - 2 cups

Method to prepare:

Clean and wash Raw rice and Attukulu separately. In a bowl, take curds and soak the rice and attukulu together. Add the fenugreek and 1 cup water. Since this will soak up nicely, you might have to add a little more water.

Soak it overnight. I guess about 6 hrs should be fine. Next morning, grind this with grated coconut, adding another cup of water. The consistency should be quite thin.

Heat a tawa and smear oil. Take a ladleful of dosa batter and spread to a medium dosa. Sprinkle oil and cook it covered with a lid. Cooking this in medium makes it really soft and porous.

Since you cooked it covered, you need not flip it to the other side.

Serve this with any chutney of choice. I think it will be best with just podi too.

Another one for my Dosa Mela!

Labels: , , , , ,