Mooli ka Paratha with Onion Chutney!

Mooli ka paratha dates back to a shot in the past. Those were the times, when we became too involved in experimenting all North Indian food in our Kitchen. It was the time during which Sanjeev Kapoor came to our living room and we had many new wonders shown to us, right there in our house. We were hooked to it. Come Friday and you could see us getting excited to welcome Sanjeev Kapoor and his many wonders. Amma will be ready with her book and I would be back from college by then and be sitting right next to Amma, to catch each and every word that's said without fail. I don't remember if Mooli Paranthas are from his show. But we were taken in by all, that comprises and tagged as North Indian.

Mooli Paratha is the best way to eat up a Radish. Atleast for those who don't like this. But for me, I can have radish in any form, though not as a salad. The ones we get here are very pungent. Amma has always made Mooli Parathas with this specialty Onion chutney of hers. I have been having a bunch of Radish in the rack for couple of days and I have been fantasizing of making these parathas for quite sometime now. Hubby dear got in bulk, thinking I would dish up everything as a stir fry, but I still had something left. I couldn't wait to get them hidden in a flour!. If it is a premonition or a sheer coincidence I am not sure, but the night before my birthday, I seem to be indulging in a stuffed paratha. While I was grating and kneading, I saw the kids playing in the living room. They try to scare me, by popping in and out of the kitchen and when Athamma brought Peddu to show him what I was doing, he looked very expectedly at me. I asked him to grow up fast, so that I can make many dishes to my heart's content just for them.

Hubby dear got them tricycle yesterday and it came with songs inbuilt. Poor hubby, was dreaming and thinking only of the tricycles for the past few days. He was particular that he gets the same colour and same size. He climbed up and down some 5 shops before finalising on the choice. Finally it came home, late night but which time, I had almost got them asleep. They jumped started on hearing the new jarring music. Both of them ran to the hall to see two cute little cycles waiting for them. Konda was already trying to peddle on one. As if they knew to peddle already, both ran to it, one pushed his sister away and climbed on. The first thing they did, was to switch on the music. They are still not able to reach the peddle, but the music went on and on for another hour. The song and the music was so harsh and jarring that Peddu expressed displeasure on the continual note but chinnu cared less. It was with great difficulty, we managed to get them asleep. This morning, they got on to it the first thing in the morning. Well it was great to finally eat the Mooli Paratha after all the commotion. It was quite surprising to know that hubby dear had never eaten this at our home, so this is going to feature many more times from now on.

Mooli ka paratha

Preparation Time: : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Cuisine : Punjabi

Ingredients Needed

Mooli / Radish - 2 medium (150 gms app)
Wheat flour / Atta - 3 cups
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Amchor powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp

Method to prepare:

Clean and grate the radish. Squeeze away the water and reserve it.

In a bowl, mix all the dry flour along with ghee. Then add the squeezed mooli and mix well.

Slowly add the squeezed water and knead to a soft dough. I didn't water any water as the water from the mooli was enough to get me a soft and pliable dough. Let it rest for sometime, while you get the chutney going.

Divide it into equal sized balls. It makes about 10 app. Roll out as you do for a regular chapati. Heat a tawa and cook the parathas with oil on both sides.

Serve with Onion Chutney.

Onion Chutney ~ Ulli Gadda / Erra Gadda Pacchadi

We call Onion as Erragadda because its red in colour, simple right. But it is also referred as Ulli in most parts of Andhra. Its called Vengayam in Tamil, though quaintly, I don't know the origin of this chutney. Just that Amma makes this for Mooli Paratha and it just tastes awesome.This was one of the dish that I planned for JFI Onion, but time was never my companion.

Thus, I find myself in midst of its company many months later and what a joy it was, this reunion.

Preparation Time: : 5 mins
Cooking time : 5 mins

Ingredients Needed:

Onions - 2 medium chopped
Red Chillis - 4 long
Tamarind - pebble sized.
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Mustard seeds + Urud dal - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves few

Method to prepare:

Heat a pan with little oil and fry the chopped onion, red chillies and tamarind. Once its nicely browned, remove and let it cool.

Grind to a smooth paste along with salt. Temper it with Mustard and curry leaves with the remaining oil.

Serve with Mooli Ka parathas!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,